Restructuring and insolvency
“Market leader for a wide range of restructuring and insolvency matters and all forms of bankruptcy work. Conspicuous strength in bank-led corporate restructuring”
Chambers UK A Client's Guide to the Legal Profession, 2014
The Blake Morgan Restructuring and Insolvency team has recognised experts who advise insolvency practitioners, funders, debtors, creditors, business stakeholders and individuals on the management and recovery of debt finance and assets.
Main areas of practice
Our dedicated insolvency specialists (including a licensed insolvency practitioner) provide commercial 'solutions driven' advice on every aspect of corporate and personal insolvency work, including:
- Boardroom and director duty advice.
- Business contingency and exit planning including accelerated.
- M&A, group reorganisation and solvent schemes.
- Advice to overseas businesses on UK insolvency law and procedure.
- Debt and asset recovery advice including retention of title issues.
For insolvency practitioners
- Asset, business and property sales including those by auction.
- Litigation, antecedent transactions and asset recovery options in the UK and abroad.
- Acting for office holders appointed as receivers under the Proceeds of Crime Act.
For banks and stakeholders
- Security review, rectification and enhancement.
- Strategy, recovery options, enforcement and reputation.
- Real estate restructuring including Fixed Charge/LPAR receivership.
- Landlords, tenants and guarantors affected by insolvency.
- Council tax and national non-domestic rates recovery work for local authorities.
- Advising franchisors of insolvent businesses.
- Defending director disqualification claims.
- Advice to individuals based overseas on UK insolvency law and procedure.
The Restructuring and Insolvency team has an impressive and varied client base that includes main clearing banks, Big 4 and niche accountancy firms, turnaround professionals, local authorities and city councils, large corporations, SMEs and individuals.
Our expertise is built on years of experience and in that time we have dealt with a huge variety of cases. Examples include:
- Acting for Joint Administrators of one of the largest independent motorcycle retailers in England & Wales with numerous showrooms and stores. Day one deployment of two team members to the head office to urgently review ROT claims and landlord and tenant issues, thereafter coordinating multiple site sales.
- Acting for Joint Administrators of a law firm with offices in London and Bristol. An immediate challenge from employees necessitated two court hearings in one week and liaising with the SRA to manage an intervention into the practice.
- Acting for Joint Administrators (and advising the liquidators of the offshore parent company) which operated in the freight and shipping industry to include a sale of the business, staff redundancy issues and claims made by certain creditors including leased equipment.
- Acting for Joint Fixed Charge Receivers of a large portfolio of properties including residential, light commercial, retail and agricultural grazing land. Negotiating various sales whilst providing expert landlord and tenant and commercial and agricultural law advice.
- Acting for a Fixed Charge Receiver appointed to operate and sell a covered retail arcade with in excess of 20 separate concessions.
- Appointment recognition and property recovery advice for various trustees in bankruptcy in France, Spain, Bulgaria and Australia incl. legal action in those jurisdictions.
- Negotiated conclusion for a wife facing public examination following the husband's bankruptcy. We secured a settlement for our client which ring-fenced her own assets and ensured that she did not have to attend court for a public examination.
- Numerous instructions to defend directors incl. litigation and successful negotiated settlements.
Blake Morgan has a national reputation for providing expert legal advice in relation to fraud, proceeds of crime and criminal confiscation matters.
The Blake Morgan bankruptcy practice provides local authorities and city councils with an advice line and 'fully funded' bespoke service to collect council tax and national non-domestic rates.
“‘First rate in every respect’, and ‘gets a fair share of the work, and deservedly so’.”
The Legal 500 UK 2013
“A sound level of expertise in this area”
The Legal 500 UK 2012
“Sources view the team as an established regional group that they can trust with complex cases”
Chambers UK A Client's Guide to the Legal Profession, 2012