Daniela Smith Senior Associate
“Excellent property lawyer who is very knowledgeable and proactive.”
Daniela is a commercial property solicitor with wide experience of all aspects of commercial property work for both the public and private sectors.
Main areas of practice
Daniela's work includes the acquisition, funding, development and letting of commercial, industrial and residential property, and property aspects of acquiring and disposing of companies. Daniela has been involved in many of the high value and high profile transactions undertaken by the firm.
- Acting for igloo Regeneration Partnership in the £250m regeneration of 40 acres of derelict land at Roath Basin in Cardiff Bay in achieving in 2007 a comprehensive development agreement with the Welsh Ministers and all statutory and planning agreements required to bring forward the development over the next 15 years; the first phase of this involves the 167,950 sq ft development of the Media Capital for BBC, which has now opened. A £43m sale of the investment to British Steel Pension Fund was exchanged in 2011.
- Acting for (Amber Infrastructure) Babcock and Brown (preferred developers of the Welsh Government in bringing forward the WISP (Welsh Investment Strategic Partnership) to deliver up to 1m square feet of new office space in regeneration centres across Wales over the next decade - beginning with schemes in Swansea, Newport and Cardiff) in handling in 2010 a sale to L&G at £23.4m of two completed developments in the WISP scheme.
- Acting for Welsh Government, Newport City Council and Newport Unlimited in the development and sale of a new £40m city centre campus for the University of Wales, Newport which opened in January 2011.
- Acting for the University of Glamorgan and the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama in the £22m re-development of the College's campus on North Road Cardiff and creation of a new concert hall and rehearsal studios scheduled to open in August 2011.
- Acting for two GP surgeries and a local LHB in acquiring a new, bespoke Medical Centre via a conditional contract with leases to be granted on practical completion, which contain provisions relating to the National Health Service (General Medical Services Premises Costs) (Wales) Directions 2004 issued pursuant to the National Health Service Act 1977 as substituted by the National Health Service (Wales) Act 2006.
Articles by Daniela
Related Knowledge & Resources
Central Government has always had the money to invest in a private finance initiative (PFI) programme to design, build, operate, maintain and finance new leisure facilities.
Chris Carr writing for the latest edition of 24dash.
As part of Lawyers in Local Government (LGG) conference in Blackpool, Blake Morgan hosted a round-table concentrating on commissioning for integrated health and social care.
What is the significance of the provisions in the Bill? This is a draft Bill published by the Secretary of State for Wales, rather than a Bill proper. It is being consulted on, in advance of introducing a Bill proper sometime early in the new year.