Ian Jones Senior associate
“Ian Jones handles a wide variety of employment law cases and has experience working on matters brought before the Employment Tribunal, County Court and High Court.”
“Demonstrates an excellent knowledge and practical application of all areas of employee relations.”
Ian advises on all aspects of employment law with a particular emphasis on the termination of employment and the defence of employment tribunal claims.
Main areas of practice
Ian has extensive experience of advising employers in both the private and public sectors on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious issues.
- Extensive experience of defending multi-claimant actions relating to, amongst other things, unfair dismissal and equal pay
- Unfair Dismissal and Wrongful Dismissal
- Providing advice to employers to minimise the risk of successful claims for unfair dismissal
- Advising employers on wrongful dismissal and other breach of contract claims
Industrial relations issues
- Providing advice to employers in relation to a wide range of industrial relations issues including trade union recognition
- Recently provided advice to Welsh NHS organisations regarding the legality of large scale strike and other industrial action, the management of staff absences and picketing arrangements
- Over the last 7 years Ian has led our team in managing the equal pay litigation which is ongoing within the NHS in Wales arising from the introduction of a new pay structure and has gained extensive knowledge of this specialist area
- Advising employers in relation to individual and collective redundancies including consultation obligations and selection criteria
- Advising on large scale reorganisations including "some other substantial reason" dismissals
- Advising on staff transfers, changing terms and conditions and voluntary exit schemes
- Advising employers on their obligations under the Equality Act 2010 including the implementation of reasonable adjustments in disability cases
- Formulating and updating policies on behalf of employers to ensure ongoing compliance
Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE) and related issues
- Advising employers in relation to all aspects of TUPE including consultation, the assignment of staff and the harmonisation of terms and conditions post transfer
- Advising in relation to corporate and commercial transactions including the application of TUPE
- Preparation of employment due diligence reports as part of the tendering/acquisition process
- Drafting and negotiating employment warranties and indemnities
“A prompt and highly knowledgeable approach, providing commercially astute advice. ”
“Building a strong reputation for his advice to NHS bodies on equal pay issues.”
Articles by Ian
There has been a consistent increase in Employment Tribunal claims since the abolition of fees in July 2017 and the most recent quarterly Employment Tribunal statistics report shows a 165% increase in single claims compared to the same quarter last year.
Managing dismissals fairly is not always straightforward as can be seen from some recent EAT decisions that have considered the tricky issues of dismissal for gross misconduct and misconduct where there had been no previous disciplinary warnings.
Ian Jones looks at how to support employees who have "back to work blues" in September following the holiday season or are dealing with changes at home such as children starting or moving schools.
Related Knowledge & Resources
What should you consider when paying out life assurance benefits – and what are the implications if you get it wrong? Adrian Lamb, Legal Director in our Pensions and Benefits team considers the issues involved for employers and trustees.
How can employers avoid treating employees unfavourably because of something arising in consequence of their disability?
The Court of Appeal has held that a whistleblower's colleagues can be personally liable for dismissal-related detriments and the losses flowing from the dismissal.
Do you have conflict in the workplace that takes up your valuable time and has a damaging effect on team performance?
Blake Morgan is one of the few larger law firms that offer an immigration compliance audit service. We are well placed to do so, drawing on our immigration and commercial expertise.