James Williams Partner
“James Williams has experience acting for both domestic and international clients on a variety of corporate matters including M&A, MBOs and private equity work.”
“Particularly strong within the public sector, responsive and knowledgeable.”
James is a partner in the Corporate team in South Wales with extensive corporate transactional experience.
Main areas of practice
James specialises in mergers, acquisitions and disposals, management buy-outs and buy-ins, private equity and venture capital transactions. He regularly advises clients on an array of general company law matters, such as corporate governance and compliance issues, reorganisations, joint venture and shareholder issues, including agreements and disputes.
James acts for a wide range of UK and international clients, including public and private companies, partnerships, public sector and third sector bodies and private individuals.
Regional and Local Government
- Advising Welsh Government in relation to a number of commercial projects such as proposed merger of seven Careers Wales companies and considering all options for the future delivery of careers services in Wales including the establishment of a company limited by guarantee wholly-owned by the Welsh Ministers.
- Advising a consortium of three Welsh local authorities (Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC, Bridgend CBC and Merthyr Tydfil CBC) on the corporate aspects of a collaborative joint venture to establish a jointly owned special purpose vehicle, to deliver engineering services to the three councils and also to grow the business and realise income. After following the Competitive Dialogue process, Capita was chosen as the private sector partner in a 10 to 15 year, c.£75 million deal. The project also involved a transfer of the business and assets (including a TUPE transfer of c.90 staff.) to the SPV and negotiating the joint venture agreement and articles of association with three bidders.
- Advising Welsh Government on the establishment of a wholly-owned subsidiary company owned by Welsh Ministers to take-over ownership of three manufacturing related fora in the aerospace, automotive and electronics/technology sectors.
- Advising Welsh Government in connection with the establishment of a Wales Life Sciences Hub Company designed to connect and concentrate Life Sciences in Wales and attract new opportunities and investment to Wales. This involved advising on structure, implementing the agreed structure, which was a company limited by guarantee wholly-owned by Welsh Ministers and preparing the constitutional and governance framework agreements.
- Advising DHAIS plc in connection with a broad range of acquisitions in the mobility care and hearing aid sectors.
- Advising Personnel Hygiene Services Limited in connection with a number of acquisitions across the service industry sector, mainly washrooms and waste disposal.
- Acting for a social enterprise trading subsidiary of a charitable trust company in connection with various acquisitions of similar not for profit organisations offering education and training opportunities to young people in Wales.
- Acting for St. John Ambulance, the UK’s leading first aid charity, in relation to a group restructuring in South Wales.
- Acting for Reflex Holdings Limited in connection with a complex reorganisation of its subsidiary company, Integra Office Solutions Limited, a bulk purchasing group for stationery suppliers and retailers.
- Acting for The Alwaysbemobile Company N.V. in relation to establishing a joint venture business providing vehicle fleet management services to private fleet owners and vehicle leasing companies which included incorporating the joint venture company and preparing and finalising the constitutional agreements.
- Advising the Association of Electricity Producers on its merger with the Energy Retail Association and The UK Business Council for Sustainable Energy.
- Acting for the shareholders of Cardiff Bioanalytical Services Limited in connection with the sale of the entire issued share capital of the company to LGC Limited, an international life sciences measurement and testing company. The business provided and operated PT schemes for monitoring drug assays in serum, toxicological investigations, drugs of abuse testing in urine and similar and associated activities.
“Clients particularly commend the excellent service he provides.”
“James Williams originally advised a client on a buy-out deal and this led me to the conclusion (viewed from the other side) that we should engage Blake Morgan for our own legal work, we have not been disappointed.”
“James has provided us with fantastic support right from the start, helping us to set up an efficient, commercially astute and pragmatic legal framework within which to run our business. James’s communication skills are exceptional, transcending legal jargon in a way that instils trust within his clients. He possesses a wealth of technical knowledge which he communicates with crystal clarity, but combines this with a rare ability to listen carefully and absorb the needs of a client ”
Articles by James
James Williams to speak at the IoD Wales and Finance Wales Host Successful Succession Planning Business Breakfast
Our partner James Williams will be speaking at the IoD Wales and Finance Wales Host Successful Succession Planning Business Breakfast on November 3rd.
We advised the owners of Tracesmart Group Limited on the recent sale of the entire issued share capital to LexisNexis Risk Solutions UK Limited.
Blake Morgan’s Corporate team advises B.A. Cash & Carry (Cardiff) Limited on its sale to A.F. Blakemore & Son Limited.
Related Knowledge & Resources
In the trial of an unfair prejudice petition, the High Court has found that the actions of the first respondent represented the clearest possible breach of directors' fiduciary and statutory duties. We take look in detail.
Our expert explains the Director Disqualification Act and what happens if a disqualified director doesn't apply with the Act.
Our expert explains the changes to the Criminal Offences Act and what you need to to to reduce the risk to your business.