Kath Shimmin Partner
“She is a good negotiator, with experience in a range of financing matters, including project financing, as well as capital markets.”
Kath leads the Banking and Finance Team at Blake Morgan. She has over 25 years experience in the finance sector, covering a huge range of client and transaction types.
Main areas of practice
Kath's expertise covers most aspects of corporate and commercial finance. A substantial proportion of her work focuses on secured lending, including structured and leverage finance as well as construction and development lending, project finance, and Bond and other debt issues.
As well as advising on lending and security, she also regularly advises on the development and documentation of financial products.
Additionally, Kath has considerable specialist knowledge in relation to funds and collective investment schemes, and has advised extensively on perimeter issues relating to the regulatory treatment of investment schemes and on structuring and documentation of a range of funds.
Kath acts for a broad range of clients, a significant proportion of which are Clearing Banks and institutional lenders. Other clients include corporate borrowers and lenders, non institutional lenders, individuals, not for profit entities and NGOs.
- advice to non institutional lender on refinancing of portfolio of care homes, including preparation of financing documentation, and advice on unwinding existing financing and related swap transactions
- advice to Borrower on refinancing and group restructuring in the education sector, including a £70 million club senior financing and mezzanine finance from equity provider
- advice to Clearing Bank Lender on £20 million structured finance loan to property investment client
- advice to clearing bank lender on £15,000,000 revolving credit facility to plc customer
- advice to authorised fund manager on structuring and documentation of investment and loan funds, including preparation of fund documentation and preparation of template lending and security documentation.
- Capital Markets/Bonds and other instruments
- Financial Services and Markets (particularly Collective Investment Schemes and close substitutes)
- Consumer Credit
- Asset Finance
- Asset backed lending/invoice finance
- Restructuring and turnaround
Kath Shimmin, head of our Banking and Finance group will be a panellist at ECOBATE 2014 on 8th October.
We highlight the recent FSA actions regarding misselling of financial products.
We consider the recent FSA announcement that it had reached an agreement with Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and RBS to provide appropriate redress where mis-selling of IRSAs has occurred.
Articles by Kath
Blake Morgan is delighted to announce that it retains its place on the Metro Bank lending and securities panel.
Welcome to the latest edition of our Brief Banking Bites. In this edition, we discuss GPDR, Fourth Money Laundering Regulations and the law around witnessing a deed.
Having only just taken up the reigns of regulation the FCA is keen to set out what it expects of firms.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Our expert explains the changes to the Criminal Offences Act and what you need to to to reduce the risk to your business.
On 26 June 2017, the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 ("the New Regulations") came into force. Read an overview here.
the GDPR will become directly applicable in all EU member states and, despite Brexit negotiations, the UK Government has confirmed that it will be implementing these new rules in full. Designed to be more future-proof than its predecessor.
With the clock ticking, and just over a month until the changes to the regulation of payment services and e-money come into force, the revised regime will see a significant change to the way in which payment services and e-money are regulated.