Kim Walters Associate
Kim specialises in Employment Law and has assisted both public and private sector clients in advising on a range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters.
Main areas of practice
Kim specialises in Employment Law and in particular corporate and commercial support issues arising out of share and asset sale and purchases, outsourcing and procurement, particularly in relation to service provision changes and TUPE issues. Kim’s experience includes all aspects of employment due diligence, employment warranties and indemnities and drafting settlement agreements, restrictive covenants and consultancy agreements.
Kim also deals with small and large scale re-organisations and redundancies including the duty to inform and consult (both individually and collectively), the use of selection criteria and suitable alternative employment; the effects of and employer obligations under TUPE on the transfer of undertakings and in the event of service provision changes; and drafting and reviewing employment handbooks, policies and procedures to ensure that they are legally compliant and meet employer's business requirements. Kim also deals with disciplinary issues and managing grievances as well as day to day HR and employment issues including equal opportunities and recruitment, bullying and harassment, contracts of employment (including the application and interpretation of restrictive covenants and termination of employment) and retirement issues.
- Advising on the employment aspects (including complex jurisdictional issues) and drafting in relation to a large international media producer and distributor’s acquisition of two TV, film and video production and distribution companies;
- Advising Sunset and Vine Ltd on the employment aspects arisng out of its Production Services contract with BT Sport.
Kim acts for a number of leading retailers and brands including include Pentland Brands, Diesel and Dolce and Gabbana on a variety of issues including:
- Redundancy and re-organisation exercises;
- Outsourcing of various services including TUPE warranties and indemnities;
- Reviewing contractual documentation and staff handbooks and advising on implementation;
- Advising on managing sensitive disciplinary and grievance issues.
Health and Social Care
- Kim advises various LHBs and NHS Trusts in a number of employment related matters, largely relating to the TUPE implications of outsourcing and procurement.
Professional & Regulatory and Local, Central and Devolved Government
- Advising on national police collaboration agreement relating to the provision of a national police air service;
- Advising on the procurement of fleet transport and outsourcing and advice in relation to the procurement of construction and building maintenance in circumstances where the services were going from being carried out by over 950 contractors to being carried out by less than 20;
- Advising on the employment aspects of substantial due diligence exercises and the employment issues arising including equal pay, TUPE, discrimination and harmonisation of terms and conditions for over 1200 members of staff.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Non-compete clause unenforceable as it included a restriction on holding a minor shareholding in a competing business
Restrictive covenants are a useful tool for employers to protect their competitive edge and to reduce the risk of 'star employees' leaving to join competitors.However, failure to draft them carefully can leave both employer and employee in limbo.
Following on from our Employment law "Top Ten" of 2017 we now take a look ahead to 2018 and what are likely to be the key employment law developments for employers and HR professionals.
How will employers and HR professionals remember 2017? We thought we’d seen enough Brexit turmoil in 2016 but it paled into insignificance compared with the legal and political wranglings this year.
What is the significance of the provisions in the Bill? This is a draft Bill published by the Secretary of State for Wales, rather than a Bill proper. It is being consulted on, in advance of introducing a Bill proper sometime early in the new year.
Do you have conflict in the workplace that takes up your valuable time and has a damaging effect on team performance?
Blake Morgan is one of the few larger law firms that offer an immigration compliance audit service. We are well placed to do so, drawing on our immigration and commercial expertise.