Kirsteen Hook Associate
Kirsteen is an Associate in the Charities team and advises charities, schools, academies and other not-for-profit organisations on a wide range of issues.
Main areas of practice
Kirsteen specialises in charity law, including general regulation and governance, Charity Commission requirements and specific issues affecting charities.
She advises on joint ventures, collaboration agreements, mergers and acquisitions, governance, charity formations, incorporations, trading, commercial arrangements, contracts and structures for charity clients, and academies and academy conversions.
Kirsteen's clients include charities, schools, academies and other not-for-profit organisations.
- Significant experience advising on charity governance, including new charity formations, structures and incorporations, and advises on charity mergers, collaborative working projects and restructuring of charities.
- Project managed a large number of academy conversions including primary and secondary schools; converter and sponsored academy conversions; special schools; pupil referral units and hospital schools; Catholic and Church of England academy conversions; new academy formations; and formation of academy sponsor MATs.
- During her training contract Kirsteen completed a six month secondment with Save the Children.
- Education: As part of the Education practice group at Blake Morgan, Kirsteen also advises on academy conversions and formations, school mergers and provides governance advice for academy trust companies and educational charities
- Training: She regularly delivers training for charity trustees
- Seminars: Kirsteen speaks at seminars and workshops for charities
- Articles: She also writes articles on issues affecting charities and not-for profit organisations and co-ordinates the Charities team e-bulletin
Articles by Kirsteen
Our Charities team here at Blake Morgan publishes e-bulletins to keep you up-to-date with breaking news and topical issues affecting the sector. We also offer regular charity trustee induction and refresher training sessions.
On 22 January 2018, the Charity Commission announced that it had been awarded additional government funding of £5 million per year.
Charity Commission - Consultation for managing relationships with organisations that are not charities
The Charity Commission has launched a consultation process on draft guidance on how charities should manage their relationships with organisations that aren't charities.
Related Knowledge & Resources
The Law Commission has issued a report on Technical Issues in Charity Law and has made a series of fairly radical recommendations to make the acquisition and disposal of property by a Charity simpler. Our expert explains.
In HR Magazine, Holly Cudbill, considers the vexed question of whether employees who undertake sleep-in shifts are entitled to the national minimum wage (NMW) throughout the entire time they are asleep, or only when they are awake to carry out duties.
Matthew Smith and Tom Shears (instructing Keith Bryant QC and Saul Margo of Outer Temple Chambers) have successfully defended Swansea University and the Trustees of its pension scheme in an appeal in the Court of Appeal.
A guide to how Blake Morgan can help with your Academy conversion.
Our Education team is one of the most experienced of its kind, and provides expert advice to over 50 further education colleges, Oxford colleges, universities and higher education charities.
Our team of specialist lawyers provide a comprehensive range of legal services and support to Independent schools and parents.