Lucy Edwards Legal Director
“Star Associate, Lucy Edwards of Blake Morgan is well regarded for her specialist expertise in acting for insolvency practitioners appointed as receivers under POCA, advising them on both enforcement and asset management issues. "She is very experienced and is prepared to think out of the box," one source notes, while another says: "She always provides an excellent service in a timely and cost-efficient manner."”
Lucy is based in our London office and heads up the London Business Support & Insolvency team. Lucy also specialises in proceeds of crime work for which she is highly regarded. She is recognised as a star associate in Chambers 2018.
Main areas of practice
Lucy has extensive experience across many sectors in all aspects of contentious and non-contentious corporate and personal insolvency, advising insolvency practitioners, companies, directors, landlords and creditors. Lucy deals with asset recovery, misfeasance claims, challenging antecedent transactions and actions arising out of MTIC fraud but is equally at home negotiating business sale agreements and advising directors on their duties when faced with insolvency.
Lucy mainly acts for insolvency practitioners in formal insolvencies and when they are appointed under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. Lucy also advises the firm's clients when they are affected by an insolvency process.
Proceeds of crime
- She has developed a specialism advising management and enforcement receivers appointed under POCA 2002 (as well as its predecessors; the Drug Trafficking Act and Criminal Justice Act).
- Lucy regularly advises POCA receivers on issues affecting the realisation of assets, including disputes over ownership.
- Lucy is trusted by POCA receivers and is regularly asked to assist with tenders to prosecutors.
- Claims against an errant company director in relation to a number of companies from which he had taken money and unravelling the complex corporate structure used to hide his beneficial ownership.
- Advising a high street bank on its re-financing of companies in CVAs.
- Advising a subsidiary of a large charity on its insolvency and assisting the liquidators with the recovery of assets.
“Lucy is personable, practical, responsive and flexible.”
The NCA wins the first round in its application of "McMafia" laws after the High Court lifted reported restrictions this week.
The Court of Appeal restores legal professional privilege in SFO v ENRC case.
Related Knowledge & Resources
What are Civil Restraint Orders and when can they be used? Our expert explains how CRO's can be useful when dealing with particularly litigious bankrupts and other litigants in person.
To what extent does the new Pre-Action Protocol apply to the enforcement of council tax liabilities?
A new Pre-Action Protocol for Debt claims ("PAP") is coming into force. We expect to see councils taking steps in the forthcoming months to significantly overhaul their current debt recovery processes to ensure compliance with the PAP.
On 11 April 2017, Judgment was handed down in the matter of JCAM Commercial Real Estate Property XV Ltd v Davis Haulage Ltd  EWCA Civ 267.
Blake Morgan's guide to the restrictions on involvement with another business trading under the same or similar name, when going through insolvency procedures.
Blake Morgan provide a guide to the process of tenant insolvency