Maxine Williams Senior Associate
Maxine is an Employment Lawyer in our Cardiff office.
Main areas of practice
Maxine advises private and public employers on the full range of HR issues, both contentious and non-contentious, including defending Employment Tribunal claims, exiting employees from the business, managing disciplinary and grievance issues, employment status, redundancy and restructuring processes and TUPE issues.
She also has experience with defending Employment Tribunal claims, e.g. for discrimination based on a protected characteristic, unfair dismissal, claims arising out of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 and claims relating to disputes over employment status.
Maxine has advised on the full range of HR issues, including contentious issues such as the management of sickness absence and issues arising under the Equality Act 2010; flexible working; bonuses; application of policies and procedures and exiting employees from the business. She has also provided advice on redundancy and restructuring processes; as well as advising in relation to disciplinary and grievance processes, including appropriate outcomes. Maxine also has advocacy experience in the Employment Tribunal.
Health & Social Care
- Cardiff & Vale UHB – advising Cardiff & Vale UHB in relation to liabilities arising out of a TUPE transfer of staff to it from the private sector, including managing change (2012)
- Successfully defending Cardiff & Vale UHB in relation to claim brought by ex-employee for unfair dismissal arising out of gross misconduct dismissal – Judgment in UHB’s favour (2012)
- Successfully defending Cardiff & Vale UHB against claim from ex-employee for unfair dismissal arising out of persistent sickness absence –Judgment in UHB’s favour (2012)
- Providing regular training sessions and providing ongoing HR support by way of helpline (Cardiff & Vale UHB)
- Successfully defending University of South Wales (then University of Glamorgan) in relation to complex claim from ex-employee for equal pay, sex discrimination and unfair dismissal – Judgment given in University’s favour (2012).
- Successfully defending University of South Wales (then University of Glamorgan) from claims of sex discrimination and equal pay from two senior law lecturers (2011/2012) – matter resolved to satisfaction of University.
- Successfully defending Cardiff University from claim for race discrimination (2012) – Judgment given in University’s favour.
- Providing HR advice to Higher Education organisations, including advice relating to issues of redundancy/restructuring and advice relating to potentially discriminatory policies.
- Advising Coleg Gwent in relation to negotiations with trade union on disciplinary policy/practice (2013)
Retail & Leisure
- Successfully acting for international hotel chain Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Plc in defending a number of Employment Tribunal claims issues against them between approximately 2008 to date, including claims for discrimination based on race, religion or belief, sex, disability and age, as well as claims for unfair dismissal and for whistle blowing. We have managed to get a number of cases struck out at a very early stage, and obtained restricted reporting orders where appropriate.
- Providing training for UK HR team at annual away day (Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Plc)
- Acting for the Principality Building Society Group (to include Peter Alan) in providing HR advice, assistance and support on a range of HR issues, including FSA/FCA issues (particularly in relation to payment of bonuses), disciplinary and grievance matters, management of sickness absence, flexible working, exiting employees form the business and advice in relation to restructuring/redundancy processes.
- Advising on secondments (including drafting of necessary documentation) , employees on ‘casual’ contracts and the use of fixed term contracts;
- Drafting consultancy contracts and providing advice in relation to their use;
- Advising on TUPE issues, including advising on matters where TUPE is deemed not to apply because of rare exemption for administrative reorganisations, requiring separate legislation to be passed to effect transfer of staff (2011);
- Defending Employment Tribunal claims brought against the Welsh Government including for claims of disability discrimination, unfair dismissal and claims concerning dispute on employment status;
- Providing regular training sessions throughout Wales for the Welsh Government with a view to up skilling staff including HR team and Legal Services team.
Articles by Maxine
Certain absences are more tricky to manage than others. Maxine Williams, Senior Associate, looks at how to handle tricky absences including where an employee goes off sick right before a disciplinary process. Click here to read the full article on CIPD.
It was back in 2006 that the Employment Tribunal considered the issue of disability discrimination by association in the case of Coleman v Attridge Law.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Non-compete clause unenforceable as it included a restriction on holding a minor shareholding in a competing business
Restrictive covenants are a useful tool for employers to protect their competitive edge and to reduce the risk of 'star employees' leaving to join competitors.However, failure to draft them carefully can leave both employer and employee in limbo.
Following on from our Employment law "Top Ten" of 2017 we now take a look ahead to 2018 and what are likely to be the key employment law developments for employers and HR professionals.
How will employers and HR professionals remember 2017? We thought we’d seen enough Brexit turmoil in 2016 but it paled into insignificance compared with the legal and political wranglings this year.
What is the significance of the provisions in the Bill? This is a draft Bill published by the Secretary of State for Wales, rather than a Bill proper. It is being consulted on, in advance of introducing a Bill proper sometime early in the new year.
Do you have conflict in the workplace that takes up your valuable time and has a damaging effect on team performance?
Blake Morgan is one of the few larger law firms that offer an immigration compliance audit service. We are well placed to do so, drawing on our immigration and commercial expertise.