Patricia Wakeford Senior Associate
“Patricia Wakeford draws on her experience as a qualified midwife to expertly advise on birth injury claims such as cerebral palsy as well as psychiatric injuries following childbirth. One interviewee states: "She is extremely efficient and has good judgement," while another adds: "She is determined and fights hard for her clients to get excellent results."”
“I know people say thank you but we have said that's not enough. All of your help and guidance, kindness and understanding over these past years have meant a lot. ”
Patricia is a Senior Associate in our Clinical Negligence team, and was a qualified midwife with many years of experience working in the NHS.
Main areas of practice
She practises in all areas of clinical negligence. However, she has a special interest in obstetric cases and cerebral palsy cases due to her midwifery experience.
Patricia uses her NHS expertise to help people who have been unfortunate enough to suffer a medical accident. She has successfully obtained compensation for clients in cases ranging in value from under £10,000 to multi million. She understands that clients have different reasons for bringing a claim and that litigation can sometimes appear very daunting. Patricia supports her clients step by step through their case from start to finish.
- Mr A - £200,000 for delay in diagnosis of testicular cancer in September 2015
- Ms D - £70,000 for negligent surgery resulting in colostomy and fistula.
- Successfully recovered £650,000 lump sum and £20,000 per annum periodical payments for life in compensation for Mrs H for the delay in treating her developing Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Patricia has recently agreed liability at 85% on behalf of her client in a multi million pound case
- Recovered £110,000 in compensation following a delay in treating appendicitis, £500,000 for failure to prevent vertical transmission and delay in diagnosis of HIV. Patricia also helps clients who have suffered from a delay in diagnosis of septic arthritis
- Obtained £50,000 in compensation for a mother who was negligently stitched after she'd given birth to her first child
- Successfully recovered £40,000 following a delay in diagnosing a fractured orbit
- Successfully obtained £27,500 in compensation for incorrect advice leading to poor IVF outcome
- £40,000 following negligent Pinnaplasty surgery
- Represented family of deceased Gary Lovett following NHS Direct's failure to diagnose Gary's lung illness
- Other expertise
Patricia has successfully concluded one claim and is working with another client in relation to defective cardiac defibrillators.
“She was very patient and understanding, and we found her interpersonal skills to be an asset. Without her caring and attentive attitude, we may well not have pursued it through to conclusion.”
“Able to combine her medical background and knowledge with her detailed legal understanding to provide intelligent advice on complex cases.”
“We can never thank you enough for all the help & support you have given us in such sad circumstances & will always be grateful for the care & understanding you have shown to us all, but in particular to Mum. (Maybe you should have been a nurse with your empathy & listening skills not to say you are not a great solicitor though!)”
“The service that I received from Patricia Wakeford was 100%. So friendly and approachable.”
Articles by Patricia
Seven figure sum received after unnecessary surgery resulting in severe drug reaction and brain injury
In the News
Senior associate, Patricia Wakeford looks at a recent case where a seven figure sum was received after unnecessary surgery resulting in severe drug reaction and brain injury.
In the News
Case summary in the delay in diagnosis of post-delivery haemorrhage leading to Asherman's Syndrome.
In the News
This report looks at lessons learned and is dated 2017. The previous report looked at 2010 to 2012.