Ruth Leadbitter Partner
“Ruth looks out for her clients' interests.”
Ruth leads the Real estate team based in the Thames Valley. She has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial property work and is based in our Oxford office.
Main areas of expertise
Ruth's work includes the sale and acquisition of land for development, funding arrangements, assisting landlords and tenants, and the development of estates strategies for clients in a variety of sectors including health, education retail and energy.
Health and Social Care
- Acting for various NHS bodies in their estate management work and in connection with various out-sourcing projects, dealing with the property elements of the business transfer agreement, estates management issues, and the negotiation of leases and licences for use in conjunction with services contracts.
- Advising on difficult issues of statutory compliance and backlog maintenance in connection with outsourcing projects.
- The forward funding of a number of medical centre developments, acting for the fund in the acquisition, construction, letting and financing of medical centres nationwide.
- Acting for various lending institutions, undertaking due diligence on land and buildings and dealing with the property finance documentation.
- Property work in connection with a joint venture for a major new centre for science. This was a major public/private sector Government-backed joint venture to develop this centre for science. Work included advice on procurement, joint venture agreements, agreements for land to be ‘drawn down’ in tranches for development, development agreements and advice on the environmental issues for a nuclear licensed site and the operation of the Crichel Downs Rules for Government owned land. We worked with the DTI and then BERR in resolving some complex issues.
- Estates management work and various projects for a police authority, now the police and crime commissioner, including landlord and tenant, and the sales and purchases of property and land for offices warehousing and operational police facilities, planning and environmental law advice.
- Acting as account partner for various schools and managing the relationship with them.
- Acquisition and financing of property for educational uses.
- Advice on unpaid school fees.
- Acting for owners of franchised restaurants and licensed premises in the acquisition of premises for their businesses.
- Acting for night club owners in the acquisition of premises and dealing with the licences needed and advice on town and country planning.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Chancellor announces changes to stamp duty land tax for first-time buyers but with no changes for the rest of the market
As had been hinted at over the weekend, in today's Autumn Budget, Phillip Hammond has announced changes to Stamp Duty Land Tax ("SDLT") to assist first time buyers to be known as "Discount Relief".
The Law Commission has issued a report on Technical Issues in Charity Law and has made a series of fairly radical recommendations to make the acquisition and disposal of property by a Charity simpler. Our expert explains.
In HR Magazine, Holly Cudbill, considers the vexed question of whether employees who undertake sleep-in shifts are entitled to the national minimum wage (NMW) throughout the entire time they are asleep, or only when they are awake to carry out duties.