Caroline works as part of the Residential property team in London. As an expert in leasehold enfranchisement, she heads the team’s specialism in this niche area of law.
Main area of practice
Caroline’s main practice areas include lease extensions and freehold purchases, both on a voluntary basis and under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.
Caroline also deals with Right to Manage applications and freehold sales/purchases which are subject to the right of first refusal provisions under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987.
Caroline has experience in all other areas of residential property, also handling residential sales and purchases, and overseeing the property management service offered by Blake Morgan.
Caroline works with landlords and tenants whether they are private individuals, associations or companies, dealing with lease extension claims and freehold purchases. In addition, Caroline assists both landlords and management companies with their property management needs.
Caroline also handles high value sales and purchases for owner-occupiers and investors, particularly where the transaction involves a lease extension.
Caroline has developed excellent working relationships with specialist surveyors operating in this technical area. Caroline’s knowledge enables her to help her clients manage their property interests to their full potential, avoiding pitfalls in the complex legislation and achieving successful outcomes.
- Highly Commended Young Professional of the Year at the Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards 2012
- Finalist Solicitor of the Year at the Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards 2013
- Finalist Young Professional of the Year at the Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards 2014
- Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners (ALEP)
- Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE)
- City of Westminster and Holborn Law Society
- Advising on numerous statutory lease extension claims, primarily in Prime Central London; regularly acting for tenants (private individuals and companies; UK based and international investors) against the Cadogan Estate, The Wellcome Trust, Grosvenor Estate, St George’s Estate and The Crown
- Assisting mainly tenant clients with statutory collective enfranchisement claims; regularly acting against the Cadogan Estate and St George’s Estate
- Dealing with First-tier Tribunal proceedings for statutory lease extension and collective enfranchisement claims, including the recent notable case The Earl Cadogan & Another v (1) 25 Hans Place Freehold Limited & (2) Freehold Estates Limited
- Advising a privately owned London-based residential property investment company with their substantial property portfolio in St John’s Wood, Maida Vale and Kingston upon Thames; dealing with voluntary and statutory lease extensions and property management matters
- Assisting tenant clients with statutory enfranchisement claims for unusual, high value houses in Chelsea and Knightsbridge, acting against the Cadogan Estate and The Wellcome Trust respectively
- As a panel solicitor, managing and supervising multiple projects containing 30 or more statutory lease extensions referred through Leasehold Solutions
Insights by Caroline
In December 2018 the Law Commission published a Consultation Paper on commonhold reform: "Reinvigorating commonhold: the alternative to leasehold ownership", available here. In it they make provisional proposals to make commonhold work...Read More
The Law Commission has published a Consultation Paper on the law of leasehold enfranchisement, which discusses widespread reform for leaseholders’ rights to: extend the lease of their house or flat;...Read More