David is a senior solicitor specialising in real estate disputes across the commercial and public sector with a particular interest in rights of light and lease renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.
Main areas of practice
David advises business and public sector clients on landlord and tenant disputes, development issues and property management queries. David regularly advises property owners on boundary and easement disputes, adverse possession and rights of light disputes. David advises landlords and tenants on breach of covenant claims, dilapidations and rent and service charge recovery. David also regularly advises and represents clients in contested lease renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.
David has acted for private and public sector clients including national property developers, registered social landlords, major national banks, educational institutions, the NHS, high street retailers, local authorities and central government.
David is a competitive rower and has represented Wales at the Home International Regatta in 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018. David has also won a silver medal at the British Rowing National Championships and raced at Henley Royal Regatta on several occasions.
David attended Monmouth School and obtained his law degree from the University of East Anglia. He completed his LPC at Cardiff University and undertook his training contract at Hugh James.
David joined Blake Morgan in January 2017 and was promoted to the role of Senior Solicitor in November 2018.
- David currently acts for the owner of a luxury apartment complex on the outskirts of London where significant service charges are levied against tenants for a full range of services provided by the landlord. David has assisted in the recovery of substantial service charge arrears and advised on a wide range of issues the landlord has encountered in its role of administering the estate.
- David has advised a number of major education sector bodies within Wales on various disputes within their property portfolios on issues such as the location of boundary lines, claims of adverse possession by neighbouring property owners.
- David has acted on a number of high value rights of light disputes in Central London and in relation to the re-development of Cardiff and Swansea City Centres
- David has advised a major developer based in South Wales on a project to improve infrastructure links in Cardiff and the surrounding area. This project involves the acquisition of agricultural land and the issues surrounding the occupation of that land by agricultural tenants.
- David advised a major high street retailer on the re-structuring of their property portfolio and worked with the Blake Morgan real estate team to implement this strategy.
David has experience of working in-house after being seconded to a Westminster based statutory adviser to the Government.