Gruff is a Solicitor in our Cardiff office specialising in the fields of commercial contracts, IT law and information governance.
Main areas of practice
Gruff assists the commercial department by drafting, negotiating and advising on legal issues arising in connection with a wide range of commercial contracts for private, public and third sectors.
Drawing on a secondment to a global insurance company, Gruff has particular experience advising companies on IT and telecoms contracts (including cross-border matters) and data protection issues.
Gruff gained significant experience of IT contract drafting and reviewing on secondment with the IT procurement department of a global insurance company.
Gruff advised on a diverse range of commercial arrangements supporting the procurement managers with software licence agreements, telephony agreements, contract renewals and GDPR compliance. Examples include:
- Advising on the procurement of cloud-based risk management software;
- Advising on the extension of a global telephony framework agreement to encompass additional services.
- Advising on the commercial terms of a SaaS hosted Payroll system including consideration of the data protection implications.
Gruff has advised or assisted with advising upon the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of contracts across different sectors including:
- Advising on complex liability and indemnity provisions in various contracts and data processing agreements
- Drafting terms and conditions, acceptable use policies and privacy notices for a Fintech mobile application and websites.
- Drafting agreements between NHS Bodies and other entities including the third sector.
Gruff is a part of the team which advises on the provision and use of technology within the financial services space. The team advises clients on the collection, use, storage and transfer of data in the development of new products within financial services including the use of AI, aggregation and automation.
Gruff holds a practitioners certificate in data protection from the British Computer Society. He regularly advises clients on data protection matters. In particular, Gruff advises on terms and conditions for commercial agreements to manage and share risks when processing personal data, he drafts data protection documents and advises clients dealing with data subject rights.
Gruff completed his law degree at Cardiff University and was awarded a scholarship to study an LLM Masters degree at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary University, London. He returned to Cardiff University to complete his Legal Practice Course. Gruff is a fluent Welsh speaker.