Helena is an experienced employment lawyer who regularly advises senior executives, companies and institutions on all aspects of employment law including both High Court and Employment Tribunal cases. She also works in conjunction with the corporate team to provide input into the employment aspect of sales and acquisitions.
Main areas of practice
- Employment tribunal claims: avoiding, bringing and defending;
- Drafting and advising on settlement agreements;
- Drafting and advising on employment contracts and staff handbooks;
- Advising on the enforceability of restrictive covenants (for both employees and employers);
- Commercial settlement negotiations;
- Restructuring and redundancy management;
- Strategic HR support;
Helena assists a broad range of clients in a multitude of sectors in respect of their employment concerns, from large institutions to start-ups and senior executives.
Helena trained at Teacher Stern LLP and moved to GRM Law upon qualification in 2007. She has specialised in employment law ever since.
- The Law Society
- Obtained a pre-hearing ruling that an allegedly freelance client was in fact an employee which meant he had been unfairly dismissed by a government department. Obtained the maximum settlement amount for unfair dismissal for the client without going to a full hearing;
- Obtained a delivery-up order at the High Court in respect of confidential, business critical data stolen by a disgruntled ex-employee. All information returned intact and undistributed.
- Successfully defended an employer against a claim of race discrimination whilst the claimant remained in service and assisted the employer to avoid additional claims of victimisation;
- Won a claim of unfair dismissal and successfully defended a counter claim from the employer winning close to the maximum award together with an acknowledgement from the Tribunal Judge that the employer's witnesses had lied under oath.
- Regularly provides advice on the employment aspects of sales and acquisitions whether these are by way of share or asset purchase.
- Regularly delivers update seminars to clients.