Holly Cudbill speaks with pragmatic confidence that gives confidence in her solutions.
Holly is an experienced employment lawyer who uses her technical expertise and academic legal knowledge to find pragmatic and commercial solutions for clients.
Main areas of practice
Holly works in all areas of employment law, including contentious and non-contentious, as well as working with our Corporate team on the employment aspects of sales and acquisitions. Holly’s particular areas of expertise include:
- Handling Employment Tribunal cases from initiation of proceedings through to hearings, including preparation of responses, witness statements and bundles of documents and conducting settlement negotiations. Holly has particular expertise in discrimination, unfair dismissal and employment status claims.
- Carrying out due diligence and advising SMEs and large multi-national companies on drafting and negotiating employment-related terms in BPAs, SPAs and warranties in corporate acquisitions.
- Providing day-to-day advice on employment relations, including managing sickness absence, performance improvement, dealing with disciplinary matters and grievances.
Holly acts for all types of employers, from family-run and owner-managed businesses to SMEs and global organisations with tens of thousands of employees. Holly has particular expertise in the media sector and has also worked with employers in the private and third sectors, along with schools and housing associations.
After studying law at Oxford University, Holly qualified as a solicitor in 2003 and has specialised in Employment Law since qualifying. Holly relocated to Southampton in 2007 and joined Blake Morgan in 2017.
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Successfully defending the most-visited English-language news website in the world against claims of unfair dismissal, race discrimination and harassment on the grounds of race, including conducting the advocacy over the 4 day Hearing.
- Advising a well-known international app-based food delivery organisation on the decision to close a subsidiary, including attending the premises on-site for three days in order to liaise with the appointed administrator, employees and delivery agents.
- Carrying out a full redundancy collective consultation with 65+ employees of an independent school, including holding staff meetings with all employees, three rounds of consultation with representatives of 5 trade unions and handling all communications. No claims were issued against the employer.
- Successfully defending a regional newspaper against claims of constructive dismissal, sex discrimination and sexual harassment. The case was reported in national newspapers.
- Holly prepares and delivers seminars and provides training to companies in-house and is consistently rated as excellent by attendees.
- Holly has specific experience in Data Protection, having previously held the role of Data Protection Officer; liaising with HR and staff and providing training to ensure compliance with Data Protection.
- Holly is experienced in practical HR having working as in-house employment and HR support, so she is used to implementing her own advice and conducting difficult meetings with employees.
- Holly has appeared on various BBC television and radio programmes to provide expert commentary on employment law related news stories.
Associate Holly Cudbill ‘understands clients’ needs.
Holly Cudbill is noted for her expertise in unfair dismissals, diversity and discrimination issues, employment contracts and compromise agreements. Clients appreciate her "pragmatic, straightforward advice with a clear focus on the business requirements.
Insights by Holly
The law around references is complex, particularly after the implementation of the GDPR. Employment Law Associate Holly Cudbill discusses what employers need to know in an article that first appeared...Read More
The Greek Data Protection Authority ("DPA" the equivalent of the UK's Information Commissioner's Office/ICO) has just fined PWC €150,000 for GDPR breaches in connection with its processing of employee data....Read More