Karl is a commercial lawyer specialising in technology media and telecoms and financial services particularly fintech/insurtech.
Main areas of practice
Formerly a general counsel at a fintech/insurance intermediary, Karl has also worked as a senior lawyer for a global insurance carrier and a telecommunications provider.
Karl specialises in heavyweight commercial contracts; including IT and business processing outsourcing, general procurement, and distribution.
He advises on a range of technology matters, from digital media to e and m commerce.
With his background in financial services, and broad regulatory experience, Karl also advises on fintech and insurtech issues as well as general compliance and regulatory matters.
Karl has significant cross border and international experience.
Karl represents all kinds of business, both regulated and unregulated, from start-ups to multinationals across sectors. As a former member of a business senior management team, Karl talks the language of business to help them navigate their legal needs.
Karl is a highly experienced commercial lawyer with significant Technology Media and Telecoms (TMT), Financial Services and Regulatory compliance experience within an international context. Karl has also worked on a number of corporate/private equity/ finance matters.
Most recently, Karl was General Counsel and Head of Legal for an insurance intermediary and fintech company in emerging markets. Previously, he worked as a senior lawyer for a global insurance carrier and a telecommunications provider.
- Procurement and outsourcing – Karl has negotiated significant deals with a range of vendors in both a UK and international context. He has advised upon and negotiated global IT and business process outsourcing deals.
- Financial Services - Karl has advised on product development, including drafting policy terms, and coverage issues for insurers and insurance intermediaries. Karl has advised on the FCA Rulebook on a range of matters, including the Conduct of Business rules and perimeter issues including the applicability of the Rulebook to the activities of technology companies operating within the field of financial services. Karl has also advised on distribution channels and Terms of Business.
- Regulatory and Compliance – Karl has acted as designated regulatory point of contact and has managed relationships with a variety of Regulators, including Financial Regulators such as the FCA, including managing regulatory audits. He has established and been responsible for global compliance structures in respect of bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering, data protection, corporate governance and financial regulation requirements, including approval regimes and systems and controls.
- Fintech/Insurtech – Karl has advised on the provision and use of technology within the financial services space. Karl has worked for a vendor providing software as a service in a number of jurisdictions and a data oriented company, having regard to the FCA Rulebook and other applicable rules including the collection, use, storage and transfer of data in the development of new products within financial services including the use of AI, aggregation and automation. Karl has extensive experience within e-commerce and m-commerce fields, digitisation and digital media.
- Commercial Contracts – Karl has advised upon, drafted and negotiated a broad range of contracts across different sectors. They include distribution and agency agreements, sponsorship agreements, advertising agreements, marketing agreements, agreements relating to the production and distribution of content and supply of goods and services.
- Corporate – Karl has led on a number of funding rounds, including advising upon loan, equity and asset finance, as well as banking covenants. He has advised on company restructuring and divestments on an international basis.
Karl has extensive experience in international trade matters, having been a senior in-house counsel at a global trade credit insurer and general counsel of a fintech/insurance intermediary with operations in emerging markets. Karl has negotiated a number of international procurement deals, including global outsourcings, as well as advising upon a variety of client contracts in the international context.
Karl has particular expertise in marketing and advertising. He has drafted and negotiated a number of notable sponsorship deals involving sports clubs/tournaments and music. He has particular experience with digital advertising and has represented industry bodies on the Committee of Advertising Practice and sat on the Regulatory committee of the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
Karl has acted in a number of matters concerning content/digital rights production and distribution including deals with major record labels, and film studios as well as user generated content and social media.