…a huge thank you for all your support and hard-work with my father's estate. Your advice, assistance and swift and detailed work have been invaluable.
Kate is a senior private client lawyer, who specialises in Wills, inheritance tax planning, trusts, and the administration of complex estates.
Main areas of practice
Kate deals with cross border jurisdiction cases, contentious aspects, agricultural and business assets, post death tax planning, advising on and setting up trusts.
Kate advises in connection with the setting up of pilot trusts for pensions and life policy death benefits, planning by setting up discretionary trusts and flexible life interest trusts, CGT planning post death, and CGT planning during lifetime in connection with principal private residence relief.
Kate gained her LL.B honours at the University of Liverpool before completing her Law Society Finals at the Chester College of Law. Kate qualified in 1995 and has a STEP diploma (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners).
- Law Society Private Client Section
- £8 million estate comprising a farm and business assets, including varying the Will post death to set up a discretionary trust to maximise reliefs for agricultural and business property reliefs for inheritance tax;
- £9million estate for a deceased businessman following an emergency including successful claims for business property relief and subsequent appointments for charitable reliefs whilst using spouse exemption who could then make potentially exempt transfers;
- Cross border intestate estate for English domicile who died in Spain with Spanish assets, varying his inheritance from his father’s Scottish estate to reduce inheritance tax charge, with a wife from Serbia who had IVF treatment and conceived a child post husband’s death, and who did not have a visa to enter the UK;
- Cross border estate with Italian property interests and English assets and advising on the cross borders aspects for tax and succession;
- Advising French national on domicile issues and inheritance tax planning and Wills including cross border tax position for inheritance tax with assets in Jersey, England and France.
Kate has had an article published on the case of Stack v Dowden in the Law Society private client section magazine
Thank[ing] you for all the really excellent work you have done on the estate. It has been a long haul with plenty of complications along the way, but everything has been made much easier with all the advice and detail you have given us.
Kate is an extremely conscientious private client solicitor who has the skills and abilities to make sense out of the most complex estates. She has an incredible work ethic, a great sense of humour and is a pleasure to work with.
Insights by Kate
It is fair to say that most people have an ISA (Individual Savings Account). Why wouldn't you? It's a straight forward, usually low risk way of investing your money. ISAs...Read More
It is not often that solicitors write about refunds but we have good news for anyone who applied to register a power of attorney between 1 April 2013 and 31...Read More