Very down-to-earth and effective, senior associate Kevin Manship has a strong reputation handling judicial review work and a particular strength in the niche area of commercial agency litigation.
Kevin is based in our Cardiff office and has a wealth of experience in dealing with complex and high-value contractual and commercial disputes.
Main areas of practice
Kevin advises across a wide range of commercial matters and disputes, including IT and technology disputes, commercial agency disputes, judicial review challenges, issues relating to the NHS standard contracts of GPs, dentists and opticians, breach of contract claims, claims involving the sale and supply of goods and services and other commercial disputes. He has taken many cases through the various Court processes and also deals regularly with mediation, adjudication and other forms of dispute resolution.
Kevin is also very experienced in matters of general commercial law. He specialises in the implementation and management of IT projects and long term IT contracts, as well as contracts for the procurement and supply of IT software, ICT systems and other technology related matters.
Kevin acts for a wide range of public and private sector clients.
IT / technology – Kevin acts for both suppliers and customers in the procurement, negotiation and drafting of IT and technology contracts and also in resolving a wide range of issues and disputes arising during their implementation and operation (from general day to day issues to complex disputes).
Commercial agency – Kevin is one of the leading practitioners in this niche area of law and regularly acts for principals and agents on all matters relating to commercial agency contracts, from negotiating and drafting the initial contract, through to advising on rights and obligations in specific situations and on to termination of the agency contract and disputes relating to unpaid commission or compensation or indemnity claims following termination.
Judicial review challenges – Kevin regularly acts for public sector clients facing judicial review challenges and has extensive experience in representing NHS bodies in England and Wales dealing with judicial review challenges following the reorganisation of health services.
NHS standard contracts for GPs, dentists and opticians – Kevin advises NHS organisations in England and Wales on their rights, obligations and options under these contracts in specific circumstances and has also been successful in resolving a number of disputes relating to these contracts through the NHS Dispute Resolution Procedure.
IT / technology
- Advising the Welsh Government on the procurement and implementation of a broadband network in Wales to support the provision of superfast broadband services to the general public and businesses in those parts of Wales where such services are not currently available under normal market conditions and issues and disputes arising from the operational phase of that contract;
- Advising on the procurement of broadband network and related services on behalf of a wide range of public sector stakeholder bodies across Wales (including the emergency services, the NHS, higher and further education organisations and local authorities) and issues and disputes arising from the operational phase of that contract;
- Advising a collaboration of Welsh universities on the procurement of high performance computing equipment and associated services across a number of sites in Wales;
- Advising a Welsh public body about its rights and obligations arising from the repudiatory breach of a software development contract.
- Representing the UK agents of Crocs shoes in successfully bringing claims for unpaid commission and compensation following the wrongful termination of the agency contract by Crocs;
- Negotiating and drafting agency contracts on behalf of a wide variety of principals or sales agents;
- Representing a UK agent in pursuing claims for unpaid commission and compensation against an Irish principal following termination of the agency contract by the agent for breach by the principal.
- Advising NHS England in the successful defence of judicial review proceedings regarding the availability via the NHS of three new drugs for the treatment of Hepatitis C;
- Representing each of the Local Health Boards in Wales in a number of judicial review cases relating to the reorganisation of A&E, maternity and other health services following engagement and consultation with service users and other stakeholders.
Health and Social Care
- Helping NHS organisations to successfully defend referrals to the NHS Dispute Resolution Procedure, including the following:
- A GP in relation to payments due following suspension from the performers list;
- A provider of ophthalmic services under a GOS contract that was challenging breach and remedial notices;
- A dentist challenging a refusal to permit him to relocate his NHS practice to an area that was already maximising NHS provision.
- Advising NHS organisations on the recovery of monies under dental contracts following under performance in relation to annual UDA targets.
General Dispute Resolution
- Various disputes relating to the protection of confidential information and trade secrets following the acquisition of companies and/or employees leaving their employment;
- Dealing with claims involving the alleged supply of defective products in the agricultural industry.
Kevin qualified with the firm as a solicitor in 2000 after completing his LLB and achieving a Commendation on the Legal Practice Course at Cardiff University.
- Committee member of the Wales Commercial Law Association
Kevin Manship excels at commercial agency disputes.
Kevin Manship regularly advises public sector clients facing judicial review challenges.
Insights by Kevin
We reported previously on the High Court decision in The Software Incubator Ltd v Computer Associates UK Limited, which seemed to clarify a longstanding area of uncertainty in the Commercial...Read More