I appreciate her energy, her drive and her positive 'can-do' attitude. Lisa has the ability to take a step back, to look at facts rationally and to bring common sense and good humour to an emotive and difficult situation. Once the legal position has been reviewed, she is able and willing to recommend a practical course of action which as a client has real value.
Lisa provides support and advice to employers and employees in various industries on all aspects of employment law.
Lisa works in partnership with her clients seeking to provide pragmatic and practical solutions to issues as well as working proactively to help avoid future pitfalls.
Main area of practice
Lisa provides support and advice to employers and employees in various industries on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment law and human resource issues including Employment Tribunal Proceedings.
Lisa also specialises in advising on employment issues arising out of share and asset sale and purchases, joint ventures and private equity investments and post-acquisition integration and is an expert on TUPE issues. Lisa’s experience includes:
- Employment contracts
- Directors Service agreements
- Consultancy agreements
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Discipline/poor performance issues
- Redundancies and restructuring
- TUPE Regulations
- Settlement Agreements
- Policies and procedures
- Poster termination restrictions
- all aspects of employment due diligence including employment warranties and indemnities
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Lisa gained commercial experience, specialising in human resource management, working in the financial services industry, within a large local authority and also for a global packaging solutions and printing company. Her commercial awareness enables her to provide clients with pragmatic and practical advice.
Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE) and related issues:
- Advising employers in relation to all aspects of TUPE including the duty to inform and consult, the assignment of staff and the harmonisation of terms and conditions post transfer
- Advising in relation to corporate and commercial transactions including the application of TUPE
- Preparation of employment due diligence reports as part of the tendering/acquisition process
- Drafting and negotiating employment warranties and indemnities
- Advising employer on their obligations under the Equality Act 2010
- Formulating and updating policies on behalf of employers to ensure ongoing compliance
- Advising employers in relation to individual and collective redundancies including consultation obligations and selection criteria
- Advising on reorganisations including ‘some other substantial reason’ dismissals
- Providing advise to employers to minimise the risk of successful claims
- Advising employers on wrongful dismissals and other breach of contract claims
- Unfair dismissal, disability discrimination and whistleblowing
Lisa joined the Employment law team in September 2009 having completed her training contract with the firm.
Training: In addition to advising clients, Lisa has significant experience running bespoke training workshops for employers and HR professionals on many different aspects of employment law such as equality and diversity, performance management and the role of the companion.. Courses can be tailored to meet client’s needs to include case studies, practical examples and open floor forums.
Speaking engagements: Lisa is also a regular presenter at seminars speaking on employment law and related matters and has recently presented at a number of training events:
- 30 November 2016 – Trustee training for Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
- October 2016 – In House Lawyers’ Forum – TUPE
- June/July 2016 – presenter at a series of Equality & Diversity training workshops
- 10 July 2015 – Due diligence training
- 19 May 2015 – Academies Forum – speaking on ability to make changes to teaching and non-teaching staff’s terms and conditions
- 26 February 2015 – New Forest Business Partnership Start Up Workshop – Employment Law considerations
- 28 January 2015 and 9 October 2015 Charity Trustee Training – speaking on Employment Law issues relevant to charities
Articles: Lisa regularly contributes articles to local, national and industry specific press on current employment law issues.
Insights by Lisa
In association with Wilkins Kennedy, we invite you to our Employment Law & Tax Update: Legal and Tax Implications of Handling Agreed Terminations on 10 July, hosted at Blake Morgan's...Read More
This article was first published in Employee Benefits on 30 April. In January 2019, the government launched a consultation on extending protection from redundancy for mothers and new parents. Lisa Wallis explains...Read More
This article was first published in HR Magazine on 2 April 2019. New Corporate Governance rules from January this year affect not just quoted companies, but companies with more than 250 employees,...Read More