I have used Louise on a number of occasions for property work and cannot recommend her more highly. She is extremely efficient, keeps in regular contact with her clients and gives good, clear and concise advice.
Louise is part of the Real Estate Team and is a specialist in leasehold enfranchisement dealing with residential landlord and tenant related matters.
Main area of practice
Louise’s main practice areas include lease extensions and freehold purchases and sales under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 and on a voluntary basis. Louise also deals with right to manage applications and freehold sales and purchases which are subject to the right of first refusal provisions under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987.
In addition to advising individuals and groups of tenants in connection with their existing rights of enfranchisement, Louise also advises private and investment landlords, institutional lenders, national and regional house builders, developers and other landowners in relation to enfranchisement claims that have been made or that could potentially be made against their estates or securities.
Louise has developed excellent working relationships with surveyors who specialise in this technical area of law. Louise’s knowledge enables her to help her clients manage their property interests to their full potential, avoiding pitfalls in the complex legislation, and achieving successful outcomes.
Louise has featured at industry leading events. She has presented two pre-recorded webinars for LexisNexis as an industry expert on collective enfranchisement and lease extensions and was invited by the RICS to hold talks for its members on the complexities of leasehold enfranchisement.
Louise has been listed in News on the Block’s feature “The Hot 100” for two years running in both 2017 and 2018. The list identifies the most influential people in the leasehold property sector. Included within the list is a mix of leasehold campaigners, Parliamentarians, trade and professional bodies, managing agents, building owners, investors, developers, valuers and lawyers among others.
Louise was also a finalist two years running for the Young Professional of the Year Award at the Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards in 2015 and again in 2016.
Louise appeared as an Expert Witness and Forensic Solicitor before Bournemouth Crown Court in relation to a fraud trial for a missing landlord lease extension claim in 2016 (R v Ian McFarlane) where she assisted the prosecution in obtaining a guilty verdict on 5 accounts of fraud.
Louise works with individual and groups of private tenants, residents associations and companies and she also advises private and investment landlords, institutional lenders, national and regional house builders, developers and other landowners, retail companies and charities.
Louise graduated from De Montfort University in 2003 with a 2.1 LL.B (Hons) degree and obtained a Commendation in the Legal Practice Couse at the College of Law (Guildford) in 2007.
Louise qualified into her specialism of leasehold enfranchisement in 2009 and became a Senior Associate with Blake Morgan in November 2017.
- Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners (ALEP)
- Southampton Property Association (SPA)
- Advising on lease extension claims under the 1993 Act;
- Co-ordinating and advising large freehold collective enfranchisements under the 1993 Act and right of first refusal legislation;
- Undertaking voluntary lease extensions and purchases of freeholds;
- Advising large developer clients on the implications of leasehold enfranchisement legislation when undertaking site set up;
- Advising institutional lenders where their security could be impacted by tenants' rights of enfranchisement;
- Advising a large energy company in connection with the impact of the leasehold enfranchisement legislation on its plans for development in the future;
- Dealing with lease extension claims for charities, housing associations and large retail clients;
- Managing and supervising multiple projects containing 30 or more lease extensions under the 1993 Act referred through Leasehold Solutions as panel solicitors;
- Dealing with lease extensions where clients are selling or buying properties with short leases under tight timescales;
- Assisting with claims for lease extensions and freehold purchases where there is a missing landlord;
- Dealing with applications to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) for lease extensions and collective enfranchisements;
- Appearing as Expert Witness and Forensic Solicitor in a missing landlord fraud trial.
- News on the Block’s “Hot 100” identifying the most influential people in the leasehold property sector
- Finalist for two years running in the “Young Professional of the Year” at the Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards in 2015 and again in 2016
Louise was exceptional in helping me renew my lease.
Her clear explanations to lay leaseholders, people wary of solicitors generally, along with her diligence, tenacity, prompt action as well as her natural charm and approachability has won the total confidence of all.
We have used Louise Uphill for a large number of lease extensions over the past year and she has always exceeded our expectations. Her knowledge of the lease enfranchisement sector is extensive and she often comes up with solutions that are not only sensible and simple but also very cost effective. She will always go the extra mile in dealing with difficult freeholders or managing agents. She is professional and courteous but more importantly has an empathetic side which makes her stand out from other solicitors.
Louise Uphill has always managed the legalities of our lease extensions with professionalism. I’m confident in knowing that Louise is Radian’s legal representation throughout this process and it is always a pleasure to work with her.
Louise Uphill handled my lease extension negotiations with utmost professionalism and diligence. Her calm, efficient and approachable manner made the whole process easy and painless. I could not recommend her more highly!
Insights by Louise
Louise Uphill, Senior Associate at Blake Morgan and Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners member, provides guidance on how leaseholders can get to grips with their leases and highlights key clauses...Read More
After being invited to attend the Law Commission Symposium on 5 November 2018 to hear the proposals for enfranchisement reform and discuss how they will work in practice, Louise Uphill...Read More