From the earliest communication I was just so impressed with your professionalism, dedication and endeavour – which seemed beyond any normal expectation.
A Legal Director within the Professional Regulatory team, Samantha has extensive experience in professional regulatory law, in particular healthcare and accountancy regulation. She is a qualified barrister, and has been recognised in the field of professional discipline since 2007.
Main areas of practice
Samantha is hugely experienced in advising clients in the healthcare and accountancy sectors on all aspects of the regulatory process, including fitness to practise and disciplinary matters, as well as compliance and regulatory requirements.
She advises and conducts advocacy in fitness to practise and other regulatory proceedings, as well as NHS disputes and performance matters. She also provides advice in appellate matters and judicial review. She has particular expertise in the accountancy sector, where she has appeared in a wide range of regulatory proceedings and advised on compliance and monitoring issues, as well as procedural and regulatory changes.
Samantha acts on behalf of registrants and members of professional bodies in fitness to practise, disciplinary and regulatory proceedings. She also acts on behalf of healthcare and financial regulators in fitness to practise or regulatory investigations. She provides training and guidance on regulatory practice, process and legislation.
Samantha completed an LLB Hons at King’s College, London in 1999 and completed the Bar Vocational Course in 2000. She undertook pupillage at 23 Essex Street in 2001, where she went on to become a tenant until 2013. Following a move in-house, she took up roles with the NMC and then Capsticks LLP, principally dealing with healthcare regulation.
She then moved to the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants where she was a Case Presenter, before becoming Head of Professional Discipline at the Association of Optometrists, the leading membership organisation for optometrists. She has recently been appointed as a Deputy District Judge (Civil) and is a trained advocacy trainer with Middle Temple.
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- ACCA v Casey (2019) - High profile misconduct case arising from conviction of former member and past Chief Executive of Irish Life & Permanent for conspiracy to defraud.
- ACCA v Condron (2019) - High profile misconduct case arising from member's conduct as auditor of bereavement charity.
- GOC v P (2020) – High Court extension of interim order on optometrist's registration after delay in regulator's investigation.
- GOC v D (2020) – defence of registrant optometrist in high profile misconduct case regarding failure to disclose criminal conviction over number of years where Stage 2 of proceedings were held remotely during Covid-19 pandemic.
- GOC v R (2020)– legal representation of optometrist in high profile misconduct case leading in house team in preparation of defence for hearing in July 2020.
Samantha has recently been appointed as a Deputy District Judge (Civil).
Insights by Samantha
Recent news from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants ('ACCA') that it intends to withdraw from legal services regulation after becoming an active regulator in probate services in January 2018....Read More