Steve Cole acts on a wide range of financial transactions, focusing on syndicated and leveraged, both regional and international. He is also noted for regularly advising on Islamic funding structures. Impressed interviewees say: "He kept to timescales and had a pragmatic view of the transaction and explained the pros and cons of the situation."
Steve is a Partner in our Banking and Finance team. He focuses on commercial, property, asset and Islamic finance.
Main areas of practice
Steve advises on a broad range of financial transactions. Steve’s particular expertise lies in commercial finance, property finance and asset finance. He also has specialist expertise in the education sector. Steve heads our Islamic finance practice and has advised banks and customers on a wide variety of Islamic compliant funding structures. He has extensive experience in both bilateral and syndicated transactions often dealing with transactions involving multiple jurisdictions.
Steve has extensive experience advising banks, other institutional lenders and borrowers.
After qualifying in 2002, Steve worked for Field Fisher Waterhouse for seven years in their banking team. In 2009, Steve took up a leading advocacy position for a US foundation involved in marine conservation. He joined Blake Morgan in 2013.
- Commission on Environmental Law
- Advising HSBC on facilities relating to the management buy-out of the Lakesmere Group (Solent Deal Awards – Deal of the Year 2016).
- Acting for a leading regional property developer in relation to investment and development facilities totalling £17mn.
- Advising a Bank on c.£20mn term loan and revolving credit facility being made available to a leading university in the South of England.
- Acting for a borrower in relation to a c. £10mn Islamic compliant commodity murabaha facility arranged with a Bank to finance the development of retirement accommodation.
- Advising a global manufacturing group based in India in respect of English law security relating to c.€700mn facilities relating to multiple subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions.
Steve was awarded Lawyer of the Year 2017 at the South Coast Deal Awards in recognition of his specialist expertise in banking and finance asset work and the quality of legal advice he has provided on a number of high profile and complex deals in the region.
Steve holds a LLM in International Environmental Law and the Islamic Finance Qualification.
He is always available, a good sounding board and truly understands the value of the relationship.
Insights by Steve
As a result of the negative impacts of COVID-19, lenders are receiving large numbers of requests from borrowers for capital repayment moratoriums and other emergency amendments to existing facilities. Many...Read More