Praised for his "exceptional client service and excellent practical legal advice," William Downing has a client base of large employers across a range of sectors, notably social housing and higher education."
William is head of the Employment law team based in the Thames Valley. He provides immediate and commercially sensitive advice concerning all employment law issues. William is a supervisor of Employment Tribunal work amongst other matters.
Main areas of practice
In particular William guides clients through complex situations, providing draft letters, aide memoirs and key pointers for handling difficult exits and assisting in dealing with internal client investigations and processes. He also has a wide range of experience from advising on large-scale outsourcing projects to business protection for Hi-Tec businesses in the Thames Valley.
William has many years’ experience handling Employment Tribunal and Court claims for his clients and is sensitive to the pressures and reputational issues for clients that can arise in claims.
William is the Chairman of Trustees of Oxford Homeless Pathways, a charity with 50 employees providing accommodation and other services to homeless people in Oxford, including managing a 57-bed overnight hostel and 60 units of secondary accommodation.
William qualified as a solicitor in 1996 after completing a Legal Practice Course at the College of Law in York. William gained a MA in History in 1992 from the University of Cambridge before completing his Common Professional Examination at the College of Law in York in 1993.
- Member of Employment Lawyers Association
- Committee Member of Oxford Branch of CIPD
- Associate Member of CIPD
- Cobham plc: Advising on all employment matters for a number of years, including sensitive employee engagement matter
- Bio-Techne Corporation: Providing a huge amount of advice to various group companies and head office in US on acquisitions, restructurings, share options and confidential employee matters
- Oxford PharmaGenesisTM: Advising this long-standing client in relation to various senior level matters and Employment tribunal claims
- Bedfordshire Pilgrims Housing Association (bpha): Providing advice over a number of years to this large Bedford-based social housing provider on a whole range of employee relations issues, including advising bpha’s Board and the senior management team in relation to a number of sensitive and confidential matters and advising on a large-scale restructuring process
William’s huge experience means he will find solutions to complicated and sensitive HR issues. He provides, on a day to day basis, immediate and commercially sensitive advice concerning all employment law issues. In particular William is able to guide clients through complex situations, providing draft letters, aide memoirs and key pointers for handling difficult exits; and assisting in dealing with internal client investigations and processes."
William Downing is noted for his ability to see things from an employer's point of view."
Insights by William
As Yogi Berra said "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future" but we all need to plan. The Brexit vote has created great uncertainty in the short to...Read More