Resources for children and young people
Our Family mediation team have complied a helpful list of resources that can help children and young people going through separation and divorce in the family.
Information Video (Courts Service and Ombudsman for Children's Office, Ireland) on YouTube for young people whose parents are separating.
- Browne, Laurene Krasny and Marc Brown Dinosaurs Divorce – A Guide for Changing Families. - This is the book that parents and younger children seem to like best.
- Cole, Julia - How do I feel about my parents' divorce? - Suitable for 5-11 year olds
- De Smet, Maria and Talsma, Nynke - I Have Two Homes
- Family Mediators Association: An Introduction to Mediation for Young People
- Grinsell, A. - Let's Talk about Stepfamilies (Gloucester Press, 1995)
- Lamb, Kathryn - Is Anyone's Family as Mad as Mine? – A Survival Guide for Teenagers (Piccadilly Press, 1997) - Although not about separation/divorce, good on teenager-parent communication, for parents also
- Masurel, Claire and MacDonald Dention, Kady - Two Homes
- Powell, Jilian - What do we think about family break-up? (Hodder Wayland, 2004) - Very clear and helpful text with a lot of photographs of children of different ages and ethnicity and a useful glossary. Highly recommended.
- Stones Rosemary - It's Not Your Fault – What to Do When Your Parents Divorce (Piccadilly Press, 1997) - Good for children over 10 who are good readers
- Swan-Jackson, Alys - Caught in the Middle – Teenagers Talk about their Parents' Divorce (Piccadilly Press, 1994)
- Thomas, Pat and Harker, Lesley - My Family's Changing – First Look at Family Break-Up (What About Me?) (MacDonald Young Books) - Reassuring and helpful explanations for four year olds and upwards
- Winchester, Kent and Beyer, Roberta - What in the world do you do when your parents' divorce?– A Survival Guide for Kids
- A brighter future: A young person's guide to what's happened since the Family Justice Review (Ministry of Justice and Department for Education, August 2014) - The guide explains family mediation, the Family Court and child arrangement orders
Websites for children and young people
- www.teenagehealthfreak.org – Health information and advice for teenagers, includes a page on divorce
Fiction for children
- Baum, Louis - Are we nearly there?
- Blume, Judy - It's Not the End of the World
- Cole, Babette - Two of Everything
- Curtis, Jill and Ellis, Virginia - Where's Daddy?
- Fine, Anne - Madame Doubtfire (for older children), Goggle-Eyes (about accepting mother's new partner), Step by Wicked Step (about live with a step-parent)
- Gray, Kes - Mum and Dad Glue
- Ironside, Virginia - The Huge Bag of Worries
- McAfee, Annalena and Browne, Anthony - The Visitors Who Came to Stay
- Palacio, R J Wonder - 'You can't blend in when you were born to stand out'
- Striker, Susan and Kimmel, Edward - The Anti-Colouring Book
- Thomas, Pat - My Family's Changing (for younger readers)
- Walsh, Melanie - Living with Mum and Living with Dad
- Wilson, Jacqueline - Clean Break, The Suitcase Kid, Sleep-overs, Love Lessons, Secrets