SRA Interventions: When can I get my documents and money back?

Posted on


You can request the return of your documents, Wills, deeds or files in a number of different ways. The method you choose will affect the speed with which you receive your files.

  1. The swiftest way to claim back your documents, Wills, deeds or files previously held by the intervened solicitor is to print out and complete an application form and email or fax it back to us along with your identification documents. Download the Authority to release form below.
  2. Alternatively, you can also print off and complete the application and send it to our office along with your proof of identification and proof of address. Once we have received your completed application and supporting documents we will send you your documents in the post. Download the Authority to release form below.
  3. Alternatively, you could come in person to our offices in Southampton, Hampshire during normal business hours to collect your documents. You should arrange an appointment time with us a few days in advance so that we can ensure that your documents and files will be ready for you.  See the contact details at the bottom of this page.
  4. If you have already found a new solicitor you can authorise us to release your documents directly to them. Click on the link apply to a release of documents.


If we are able to establish which clients are owed what money we will, with the consent of the Solicitors Regulation Authority, release the money back to those clients. If you believe that the intervened firm held money on your behalf, please click here to download the claim form at the bottom of this page, complete it and return it to us with any documentary evidence you have in support.

We take very seriously the need to protect client money and take all possible precautions to ensure that we are releasing the money to the correct person. The length of time this will take will depend on the condition of the intervened firm's accounting system.

Unfortunately in some cases it is not possible for us to release the money, for example if the firm's accounting records are inadequate. In these cases any money held by us is sent to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. To claim some of your entitlement you would need to contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority Compensation Fund on the following address:

Claims Management
Solicitors Regulation Authority
The Cube
199 Wharfside Street
B1 1RN

Click on the link for information on Solicitors Regulation Authority Compensation Fund.

If you are unable to wait for us to complete the examination of the accounts then you may make an application to the Compensation Fund at the address set out above. Please note that applications to the Compensation Fund should be submitted within six months. Please also note that in order to make a claim on the Compensation Fund you will need to show that you have suffered actual financial loss. The loss must have arisen during a solicitor's normal work. It must have been caused by the dishonesty of the solicitor, or you must be suffering financial hardship as a result of the solicitor's failure to pay money he or she has received either to you or on your behalf.

For further information please contact the Intervention team on 023 8085 7270 or email
Icon for PDF files

Intervention Claim Form

271.2 KB | Adobe PDF


Icon for PDF files

Authority to release documents form

40.6 KB | Adobe PDF