“Very sensitive and responsive to the cultural and governance parameters we work in.”
Our College practice includes work for 26 of the Oxford Colleges along with a number of the Private Halls and other organisations linked with the University, including the Student Union.
Our core team of lawyers are experts in education and charity, real estate, agriculture, employment, construction, student discipline and tax enabling them to deliver advice and training for all your legal needs. In addition, the size of our firm means that we can also call on the support of leading experts in data protection, freedom of information, commercial collaboration, international agreements and overseas partnerships, public procurement, publishing law and any other discipline as and when required.
With an office in Oxford we are available at short notice to visit and support our Oxford College clients.
Our team draws together experience and skills from across the firm to provide pragmatic and commercial advice on:
- Governance, administration, education law and charity regulation
- Banking finance and funding for development
- Property and estate management, including disposals and acquisitions
- Management of investment properties and agricultural holdings
- Construction and redevelopment of buildings, teaching areas and student accommodation
- Commercial contracts, procurement and outsourcing
- Corporate, IP commercialisation and spin-outs
- Data protection and information governance
- Employment, pensions and immigration
- Dispute management
- Equality, discrimination and freedom of information
- Student discipline and student complaints
- Fast track debt collection and consumer credit
- Income generation, research grants and funding agreements
- Fundraising and legacies
In addition to the above areas of specialisation, we also regularly provide added value services such as secondments of staff and contributing to knowledge transfer (e.g. e-bulletins, guest lectures, contributions to legal text-books, entrepreneurial legal services and conference attendance and participation).
Our clients include:
- Oxford Colleges (we advise more than half of the Oxford University Colleges) including: Christ Church, Magdalen College, Brasenose College, Pembroke College, University College, St Anthony's College and St Hugh's College
- Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies
- Isis Innovation spin out companies
- Oxford Student Union
Examples that highlight the Education team’s broad range of skills and experience include:
- Acting for an Oxford College on a project to modernise and streamline their Statutes and Bye-laws, established by Royal Charter.
- Advising an Oxford College regarding a student who had appealed against an expulsion for poor academic work on discrimination grounds and alleged racist behaviour.
- Acting for an Oxford College on a number of IP/IT matters including the trade mark protection of commercial IP and a joint software development project for an enhanced student information system.
- Acting for an Oxford College in relation to a disputed Will which led to the College receiving a multi-million pound settlement.
- Acting for an Oxford College in a major construction project.
- University of Hertfordshire - UHInvest programme 2013/2014 providing entrepreneurial services to students and staff.
- City University - participating in programmes, lectures and entrepreneurship clinics for staff, student and local tech city business.
- Southampton Solent University - providing an external expert to the University's IP Advisory Panel.
- SouthamptonUniversity - Pathways to Law programme, promoting access to the legal profession for people from state school backgrounds.
- PRIME - one of the founding members of this profession-wide initiative, which creates fair access to quality work experience for young people from less privileged backgrounds.