The non-public, confidential nature of arbitration proceedings coupled with the enforceability of arbitral awards in the national courts of more than 150 countries makes arbitration a popular form of dispute resolution.
It is particularly prevalent in certain sectors, such as energy, but commercial parties of all types and across all sectors elect, either at the time of contracting or once a dispute has arisen, for determination of a dispute by arbitration.
We are experienced at conducting international and domestic UK arbitrations under various procedural and substantive governing laws, whether ad hoc arbitrations or pursuant to numerous institutional rules including those of the London Court of International Arbitration ("LCIA"), the International Chamber of Commerce ("ICC"), and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law ("UNCITRAL").
Our lawyers' arbitration experience includes:
- Arbitration for Hong Kong based ship owner against its protection and indemnity mutual insurance provider.
- Arbitration between former joint venture partners of real estate development projects in Romania. (ICC Rules)
- Arbitration under guarantee related to the above Romanian real estate projects. (ICC Rules)
- UNCITRAL arbitration in which client awarded specific performance of international supply agreement.
- Arbitration for multinational's aviation fuelling division against technology services provider. (LCIA Rules)
- Arbitration arising out of proposed substantial redevelopment of £50 million real estate, including emergency interim injunctive relief from English High Court in support of the arbitral proceedings.
- Arbitration for leading producer in the distillation / spirits industry about termination of various production and supply agreement.
- Subsea telecommunications cabling arbitrations. (ICC Rules and LCIA Rules)
- Automotive industry distribution agreement dispute. (ICC Rules)
- Acting for US headquartered multinational energy corporation in production sharing contract dispute with African state ahead of ICC arbitration proceedings.
- ICC arbitration for gold mining companies against the Government of Ghana alleging wrongful termination of project agreement and expropriation of property.
- Arbitration for a retail company against Dubai based leisure sector opponent. (LCIA Rules)