Defence, security and emergency services
Blake Morgan’s specialist commercial lawyers have extensive experience of providing legal advice on high-value complex defence, security and emergency services projects for both the private and public sector.
Main areas of practice
We have experience both as external and in-house advisors of defence, security and emergency services organisations and this combined with our ongoing keen interest in these sectors provides us with the specialist knowledge to advise on issues affecting these industries.
Areas in which our commercial lawyers have particular expertise include:
- Systems procurement and integration contracts for secure communication networks
- Procurement and retrofit agreements for equipment weaponisation and armament
- Outsourcing the maintenance of multiplatform fixed and rotary wing aircraft
- Procurement of UAV’s
- In-theatre wet and dry aircraft leasing
- Equipment bailment agreements
- Various UOR procurements
- Acquisition of civilian and military fixed and rotary wing aircraft;
- Provision of security personnel
- Provision of sponsored reserves
- Design, build and maintenance of complex warships and related sub-contracts including off-set arrangements
- Supply and manufacture of anti-toxins and other biologics to government bodies
- Major capital infrastructure projects (including PFI/PPP)
- Sale and purchase of defence related businesses
- Collaborative R&D partnerships
We work with both private and public sector organisations including consultants to the military, emergency services suppliers and fire and police authorities.
Examples of how our commercial lawyers have helped on projects include advising:
- A military consultancy company on a US$1m consultancy contract with a leading MRO provider in the Middle East. This project also included advising on the subcontractor agreements with entities located in North America, Europe and the Middle East.
- A supplier in respect of the roll-out of a nationwide secure radio communication system for emergency services in respect of government projects worth close to £1 billion.
- a Police and Crime Commissioner on information services transformation, including procurement of IT systems, changing operational and response models and related issues (ongoing: details confidential).
- A Police and Crime Commissioner on procurement and construction of two regional custody units.
- A Police Authority on a PFI project for a new regional custody unit and police station (c. £30 million), plus hard and soft FM services over 25 years.
- A Fire and Rescue Authority on a PFI project for “hot” fire training, accommodation and hard and soft FM services.
- A major defence contractor on the supply and maintenance of complex warships and the provision of long-term support to government clients.
- Sellers and purchasers of defence related businesses on trade sales including liaison with government defence bodies to transfer supply and maintenance contracts.
- Emergency service providers on design and build contracts for prototype and production launch vessels and associated equipment including preparation of letters of intent for use when placing orders for long-lead time equipment.
- Advising a provider of air traffic control services in relation to procurement of equipment, protection of intellectual property and supply of services.
- Advising a number of engineering and technology companies contracting in the defence sector on bidding, risk management, supply chain flow down, consortium and joint venture arrangements.
- Welsh Government on concluding agreements in respect of MOD-controlled airfields for civilian and commercial use under military flying regulations.
- A trading arm of UK Ministry of Defence on a variety of projects including major (£90 million plus) PPP aircraft repair facility, facilities maintenance contracts for runway, taxiways and hardstandings, and refurbishment of an existing facility to accommodate air tanker fleet maintenance.
Blake Morgan also has significant experience within its Real Estate team on defence and emergency services related property transactions and within our Commercial Litigation team on disputes within the sectors.