General Criminal Defence
Our criminal defence team has extensive experience of defending clients who face criminal investigations and prosecutions. We represent clients at all stages of criminal matters – from interviews to prosecutions in the Magistrates' Court and Crown Court and appeals to the Court of Appeal.
We are proactive and fearless in the defence of our clients and offer a bespoke service to each of our clients. We fully understand how stressful a criminal investigation or prosecution can be and we do all we can to ensure our clients achieve the best possible outcome. We support our clients at each and every stage of their case and ensure that they are put at the centre of all we do.
We act in many high profile and complex cases and we are well known for our discreet approach to the work that we do. We defend clients in matters brought by the police, as well as other bodies such as the National Crime Agency, Trading Standards and Health & Safety Executive. For matters involving the Serious Fraud Office, Financial Conduct Authority, and HM Revenue and Customs please refer to out specialist White-Collar Crime and Investigations page.
We are available to assist clients whenever the need arises, often at short notice. Receiving the right advice from the outset is essential.
We represent clients across England and Wales. Our geographical presence enables us to provide representation to clients wherever they may be located.
We work with leading experts, when the need arises, in order to provide our clients with a complete defence team to address every aspect of their case from advocacy to expert evidence.
Main areas of practice
- We also have specific experience in the defence of fraud and white-collar crime cases
- Confiscation, asset seizure, restraint and Proceeds of Crime Act matters
- Director Disqualification proceedings
- Offences under Companies Act 2006 such as fraudulent trading and failures to act/comply
- Mortgage fraud
- Conspiracy to defraud
- Allegations of assault and violence
- Murder and manslaughter
- Pervert the course of justice
- Public order offences
- Benefit fraud
- Allegations of sexual offences (both recent and historic) such as rape, sexual assault and indecent images
- Drugs offences
We act for private individuals, high-net worth individuals, professionals and company officers.
- Defended a client in the largest ever prosecution brought by the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (now the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy). Our client was accused of long firm fraud/consider credit fraud. Client acquitted after trial
- Defended a client accused of conspiracy to defraud where false identities and documents were created and then sold to others and used in further crimes. Given the scale of the offending the loss was said to be incalculable
- Defended a client in confiscation proceedings where the benefit figure was said to be £50 million. Successfully argued that a significantly lower figure was in fact appropriate
- Defended a client in confiscation proceedings where hidden assets were a key issue. Successfully argued that there should be no finding of hidden assets
- Advised a third party in confiscation proceedings where they were making a claim to recover £150,000
- Successfully challenged the imposition of a Restraint Order, imposed on a client awaiting trial for fraud offences
- Defended a client accused of conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office. No further action was taken against our client
- Defended a client in the high profile phone hacking investigation. After a lengthy police investigation, a decision was taken not to charge our client. Whilst this case as a whole attracted significant media attention we were able to ensure that our client remained out of the press
- Defended a client accused of high value benefit fraud. After a guilty plea the client received a suspended sentence
- Defended a client accused of wounding. Case was stayed as an abuse of process following our successful argument and a formal not guilty verdict was returned
- Defended a client accused of numerous robberies with a weapon
- Defended in numerous murder cases, including cases where diminished responsibility and insanity have been issues
- Defended cases of robbery and armed robbery, including armed robberies at Post Office and bank premises
- Defended a client accused of smuggling £millions cocaine in to the UK inside a lorry. After successful legal argument the case against our client was discontinued
- Defended a client accused of a nationwide conspiracy to smuggle items in to prisons, from drugs to weapons
- Defended a client accused of multiple allegations of historic sexual abuse, including rape. Client acquitted after trial
- Defended client accused of rape. Matter discontinued after interview and no further action taken
- Defended a client facing various allegations of possession of indecent images