Working not just nationally, but internationally from our offices in London and across the UK, Blake Morgan's energy team have a wealth of experience in assisting clients with cross border energy transactions, real estate, planning employment and regulatory issues.
Our services for the energy industry include:
- Energy projects and contracts, including oil & gas and electric power
- Dispute resolution, including international arbitration
- Corporate and equity funding
- Finance and debt funding
- Construction, engineering and procurement
- Planning and environmental
- Employment, immigration and employee mobility
- Critical incident response, including health & safety
- Regulatory risk, compliance and investigations
- Technology and intellectual property
We provide specialist advice to a range of clients in the energy sector, including:
- Power developers (both for conventional thermal plants and renewable power projects)
- Institutional investors
- Independent oil companies (IOCs)
- Governmental agencies and national oil companies (NOCs)
- Contractors and equipment suppliers
- Drilling companies and suppliers of well services
- Operators of pipelines, processing, storage and terminal facilities, and other energy infrastructure
- Other providers of services, technology and data
- Energy offtakers and users
Examples of the ways in which we have advised our energy clients include:
- Severn Power Station: Advised on 850MW CCGT power station development, with 6.4KM high pressure feedgas pipeline. The role included advising on section 36 consents, National Grid connection, Connectors and Use of System Code (CUSC), gas connection and supply agreements, EPC Contract, Operation and Maintenance Agreement, and debt finanacing.
- Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon: Advised Tidal Lagoon Power on land ownership and property matters related to their planned £1.3BN pathfinder Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project.
- Ras Laffan B IWPP: Advised a government agency in relation to the development of a 1,025MW combined-cycle power plant and associated seawater desalination plant on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis, including drafting and negotiating the Power Purchase Agreement.
- Cuiabá IPP: Advised an international energy company on a gas-fired power project in Mato Grosso, Brazil, including the Power Purchase Agreement with a distribution company offtaker.
- Advised a government backed SME loan fund on development of fund and investment documentation for community renewable energy projects including developing a set of flexible lending templates for use by the fund in lending to renewable energy projects. These addressed construction and technical issues as well as payment and hypothecation of energy incentive payments.
- Advised a developer in relation to the development of a large solar farm in South Wales. The project negotiations were fast-tracked to benefit from favourable feed-in tariffs. The development comprised a 750KW ground mounted photo-voltaic power plant with an O&M Agreement providing operation and maintenance services.
- Advising Cambrian Renewable Energy Limited on their development of a 45 KW wind farm project at Mynydd y Betws, Carmarthenshire.
- Advised a UK bank on a series of loans to refinance expenditure incurred in the construction of wind turbines.
- Advised a US renewable energy company on multiple transactions involving the acquisition of UK solar farms with a view to a corporate spinoff and NYSE flotation.
- Advising Bath & West Community Energy on their joint venture with Hartham Business Park to develop a 250 KW ground mounted solar PV project.
- Advised on the design and installation of c1.2MW of solar photovoltaic systems across 43 housing stock sites owned by the London Borough of Greenwich.
- Advising Eco2 on their development of the 38 KW Sleaford Renewable Energy Plant project (fed by straw biomass) with financial support from the UK Government in low-carbon subsidies.
- Advised on development of an anaerobic digestion (AD) plant funded with project finance. Preparing FIDIC based suite of documents and ensuring that they were acceptable to the funder. Advising on related biomass waste supply agreements.
Oil & Gas
- Advised a European oil major on a portfolio acquisition of oilfield interests in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, involving arrangements for the export and processing of natural gas through a subsea pipeline system and processing facility at Teesside.
- Advised a NYSE-listed energy company on the $898M divestment of its portfolio of oilfield interests to SapuraKencana Petroleum (SKP), comprising nine offshore blocks.
- Represented a European oil major as co-sponsor of an LNG project in East Africa in collaboration with the owners of multiple deepwater blocks (with different licensing and development terms and timelines). The role included advising on the terms of a Host Government Agreement between the host government, the national oil company, and the international oil companies.
- Advised a European oil major on two onshore farm-in transactions in Kenya.
- Advised an independent oil company on Production Sharing Agreement and Joint Operating Agreement issues arising from a field development in Kurdistan.
- Advised a national oil company in relation to the grant of a new production concession and the formation of a joint venture with a supermajor to develop and operate a sour gas field.
- Represented an independent oil company in relation to liability, contractual and product sales arrangements arising from a distressed rig incident.
- Advised a national oil company in the renewal of its concession to an international joint venture company to develop and operate gas processing facilities.
- Advised the refining division of a national oil company in the establishment of a joint venture with a Scandinavian oil company to develop and operate a specialist base oil refinery with arrangements for marketing products into various territories, including the EU.
- Advised Nostrum Oil & Gas in relation to its project to develop an integrated suite of contracts for the engineering, procurement, construction and equipping of expanded processing facilities for natural gas produced from the Chinarevskoye field, Kazakhstan, for the production of stabilized condensate, LPG and dry gas.
- Advised an petroleum supermajor on the negotiation of a contract with a national oil company to rejuvenate and expand an existing liquefaction plant and terminal facilities on the Mediterranean with a view to restoring it to its original nameplate production, as part of an integrated project including natural gas production, transportation and processing, and the production and marketing of LNG and condensates.
- Advised an international energy company in relation to the formation of a joint venture with a host government and a petroleum supermajor to develop and project finance a Middle East integrated gas project including a cross-border subsea natural gas pipeline. This project was short listed for the "International Project Finance Deal of the Year Award" by the International Financial Law Review.
Energy Efficiency and District Heating
- Advising on the London Energy Efficiency Fund (LEEF) and Scottish Partnership for Regeneration in Urban Centres (SPRUCE): These are JESSICA funds which invest in infrastructure projects satisfying energy efficiency criteria. We have advised both funds on state aid and ERDF compliance issues relating both to individual projects and to the funds themselves.
- Advised Cube Housing Association on its £5M investment in a district heating network for multi-storey stock at two of its estates.
- Advised the London Borough of Enfield on their £6 Million investment in the Lee Valley Heating Network.
- Advised London Borough of Hackney on its £4.6M investment in a communal heating upgrade for ten blocks of social housing within the Borough.
Note: This list includes matters that were handled by Blake Morgan lawyers before joining the firm.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Our employment expert considers some of the further detail of the Supreme Court's ruling to make employment tribunal fees unlawful, the implications this will have for employers and what to take into consideration going forward.
In this article, our expert explores this resourceful way to harness energy through battery storage facilities.