James Egan continues to impress observers in the Welsh market with his handling of major development matters, joint ventures and property transactions on behalf of both public and private sector clients. Sources say that he is "very easy to get on with, and as diligent as you could want. He has a lot of experience in the property market."
James is a real estate partner with experience of large-scale development work, joint ventures, and general property transactions in the private, public and third sectors.
Main areas of practice
James handles many of the firm’s high value, high profile real estate transactions leading multi-disciplinary teams of solicitors. He has significant expertise in the development of office blocks, health campuses and primary care resource centres and currently acts for developers, tenants and purchasers in the procurement, acquisition, funding, development and subsequent lease arrangements and sales of such developments. He also leads teams advising large clients such as the Welsh Government, NHS Wales, charities and social landlords on portfolio management.
Clients are investors, developers, banks and occupiers. He also acts for Welsh Government, NHS Wales, local authorities and charities such as Tenovus, Scope and the Royal National Institute of Blind People.
James qualified in 2000 after gaining multiple qualifications including a degree in French and Politics, a qualification in Cardiff University’s Legal Practice Course and a PG Dip Law degree.
- James was a non-executive Board member of Taff Housing Association from September 2006 until March 2012
- Leading the team advising the Welsh Government on the development, acquisition and all occupational lettings of an 80,000 square foot grade ‘A’ office building in the city centre of Cardiff. Subsequently advised on the sale of the investment autumn 2016, one of the biggest Real Estate transactions in Wales this year.
- Leading the team advising a client on a Joint Venture to apply for and develop a new train station in south Wales which could be built as part of plans to open a business park employing 15,000 people.
- Leading teams advising private, public and third sector clients manage their property portfolios including: advising on the grant and renewal of leases of offices, units and shops;dealing with the assignment of leases, sub-lettings, licences to alter and the granting of landlord’s consent;advising on all aspects of portfolio management, property strategies and general property related advice; andthe disposal of surplus assets
- Acting for a Health Board and two (2) GP Practices with the procurement of the development, by a private sector developer, of a new multi-occupied, primary care facility in Colwyn Bay which opened to patients in September 2016.
- Advising a Registered Social Landlord in partnership with local authority, the NHS, the local community and a house builder in the regeneration of inner city Cardiff. The scheme includes a community health resource centre, a new shopping parade of 11 new retail units, managed community space, a mix of new family housing comprising 13 houses and 48 apartments for mixed tenure and public open space.
- Leading the team advising the Welsh Government on its multi-million pound acquisition of Site E04, Callaghan Square, Cardiff earmarked for the development of 100,000sq ft of offices
Advising Cardiff Community Housing Association in partnership with local authority, the NHS, the local community and a housebuilder in the regeneration of Loudoun Square. The scheme includes a community health resource centre, a new shopping parade of 11 new retail units, managed community space, a mix of new family housing comprising 13 houses and 48 apartments for mixed tenure and public open space.
Has a broad understanding of property and tenancy matters in the charities sector and public sector.
James is very experienced and knows the local market well, which helps provide a commercial view to transactions.
We simply would not be able to do a lot of the things that we do without him.
James has been involved in the property issues for as long as I can remember, and whilst I am sure his team has ample expertise, he has a lot of experience of different scenarios. The people we deal with, whether GPs or developers, can be quite difficult and it is useful that he has as much experience as I have.