Stephen is an associate in the commercial litigation team, with a particular emphasis on financial services litigation including pensions. Stephen also deals with high value professional negligence and general commercial disputes, acting on behalf of a number of high street banks and other institutional clients.
Main area of practice
He has extensive experience in banking and financial litigation having acted for major banks and lenders for a number of years.
His main practice areas include:
- Professional negligence
- Commercial litigation
- Financial services and pensions litigation
His notable clients include DAS and major banks such as the Lloyds Banking Group and Barclays. He has also undertaken work for third party mortgage administrators such as Acenden and HML including defending mortgage mis-selling claims on their behalf. Stephen also acts for high net worth individuals in disputes with third parties.
Professional Negligence: since qualifying in 2002 Stephen has specialised in professional negligence disputes acting for a variety of different clients. He was involved in the Equitable Life mis-selling of with-profits annuities group litigation action acting on behalf of over 400 claimants. Stephen has successfully represented clients in multi-million pound disputes and has considerable experience of High Court litigation. Stephen is a firm advocate of alternative dispute resolution procedures such as mediation which have resulted in favourable settlements for his clients.
Stephen qualified in 2002 after a previous career in banking. In addition to his legal qualifications, Stephen studied for and was awarded the Retirement Provisions Certificate by the Pensions Management Institute. He also studied and passed Financial Planning Certificate qualifications during his career in banking.
- Commercial disputes – Since qualifying Stephen has acted for a variety of clients advising on matters such as breach of contract, partnership disputes, shareholder disputes, intellectual property disputes and aspects of land law.
- Pensions – He has advised trustees on aspects of pensions law and the administration of pension schemes and drafting of scheme documentation.
- Banking – Stephen was involved in a review of the sale of interest rate hedging products for a major high street bank.
- Employment – He has also undertaken advocacy on behalf of clients at Employment Tribunals and provided employment advice to both companies and individuals on all aspects of employment law including termination of employment and discrimination issues.