Ben is responsible for advising house builders and registered providers on all aspects of site acquisition. He regularly advises clients in relation to the real estate aspects of property finance on development sites. He is also responsible for commercial property investment purchases and sales and manages a number of commercial property portfolios.
Main areas of practice
His experience includes advising developers, house builders and landowners on option agreements, conditional contracts, promotion agreements, joint ventures, and infrastructure agreements. He also works on development industry site acquisitions, site set up and disposals.
In addition to his development work, Ben also advises clients on investment purchases/sales and portfolio, and general commercial leases.
Ben joined the firm in April 2013 having qualified in 2003. Prior to joining the firm, he worked at both Coffin Mew and Paris Smith.
Ben studied law at the College of Law in Guildford. He also has a B.A. combined honours degree in history and geography from Oxford Brookes University.
- Assisted developer with a £27m regeneration project in Southampton comprising a mixed use scheme to feature a range of contemporary one and two bedroom apartments together with 487 square metres of commercial floor space. Working with Blake Morgan construction, a full contract package of bespoke construction, land sale and development agreements were put in place with one of the UK’s biggest professional landlords. The development will be Southampton’s second Build to Rent scheme and Grainger will be responsible for letting and managing all 132 apartments, making it attractive to a wide range of occupiers.
- Assisted a private developer who required a land swap and intra-company group transfer and CLL certificate of Title as part of a £10 million finance package of a development site.
- Acted for a private investor on the acquisition of a Wharf for £4.4 million and letting scheme based on institutionally acceptable rack rent leases producing an aggregate annual rent roll of circa £360K per annum.
- Acted for private investor acquiring an office block for £3million with lease back. The transaction was structured as a pre-packaged sale from a financially struggling seller.
- £10 million re-finance of client's commercial property portfolio from Bank of Scotland to HSBC.
- Assisted a registered provider on a site acquisition for a self-build open market scheme with affordable housing allocation retained as part of the development for affordable rented and shared ownership.
Corporate: Ben has provided corporate and insolvency support in relation to commercial real estate and secured lending advice.