Ian Jones handles a wide variety of employment law cases and has experience working on matters brought before the Employment Tribunal, County Court and High Court.
Ian advises on all aspects of employment law with a particular emphasis on the termination of employment and the defence of employment tribunal claims.
Main areas of practice
Ian has extensive experience of advising employers in both the private and public sectors on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious issues.
Industrial relations issues
Providing advice to employers in relation to a wide range of industrial relations issues including trade union recognition
Recently provided advice to Welsh NHS organisations regarding the legality of large scale strike and other industrial action, the management of staff absences and picketing arrangements
Over the last 7 years, Ian has led our team in managing the equal pay litigation which is ongoing within the NHS in Wales arising from the introduction of a new pay structure and has gained extensive knowledge of this specialist area
- Advising employers in relation to individual and collective redundancies including consultation obligations and selection criteria
- Advising on large scale reorganisations including “some other substantial reason” dismissals
- Advising on staff transfers, changing terms and conditions and voluntary exit schemes
- Advising employers on their obligations under the Equality Act 2010 including the implementation of reasonable adjustments in disability cases
- Formulating and updating policies on behalf of employers to ensure ongoing compliance
- Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE) and related issues
- Advising employers in relation to all aspects of TUPE including consultation, the assignment of staff and the harmonisation of terms and conditions post transfer
- Advising in relation to corporate and commercial transactions including the application of TUPE
Preparation of employment due diligence reports as part of the tendering/acquisition process
Drafting and negotiating employment warranties and indemnities
- Employment Tribunals
- Extensive experience of defending multi-claimant actions relating to, amongst other things, unfair dismissal and equal pay
- Unfair Dismissal and Wrongful Dismissal
- Providing advice to employers to minimise the risk of successful claims for unfair dismissal
- Advising employers on wrongful dismissal and other breach of contract claims
Demonstrates an excellent knowledge and practical application of all areas of employee relations.
A prompt and highly knowledgeable approach, providing commercially astute advice.
Building a strong reputation for his advice to NHS bodies on equal pay issues.
Insights by Ian
Important changes to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (“ROA”) came into force on 28 October 2023. These changes reduce the period of time that community sentences and most custodial...Read More
The Government recently announced two new public consultations focusing on Occupational Health. According to the latest figures, long-term sickness is now the most common reason given by working-age people for...Read More
The Government has published its long-awaited guidance for employers on how to measure, report and address any ethnicity pay difference within the workforce. The Government has decided against introducing mandatory...Read More