Joanna Corbett-Simmons is a 'highly proficient litigator' and regularly handles breaches of confidential information and copyright claims.
Joanna is a Senior Associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution team in Cardiff specialising in corporate and shareholder disputes, professional negligence, contentious intellectual property matters and special educational or additional learning needs.
Main areas of practice
Joanna has a broad range of experience in general commercial and civil claims and specialist knowledge of post-completion disputes (principally claims for breach of warranty, restrictive covenants and expert determinations of deferred consideration payments), shareholder disputes, professional negligence (principally against legal or financial advisors), contentious intellectual property matters (including trademark and design right infringement) and special educational or additional learning needs.
Having spent a summer on secondment to Philips Electronics UK in its Health-tech team Joanna is ideally placed to advise both public and private sector clients on a wide range of commercial disputes. She acts for a number of local authorities, local health boards, NHS England and the Welsh Government alongside charities and private companies. She receives repeat instructions from large national companies (many of which are based in South Wales) as well as advising world-renowned brands on intellectual property matters.
- Corporate & Shareholder Disputes
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property
- IP Disputes
- Professional Negligence
Joanna read Law with French at the University of Wales Aberystwyth, spending a year studying French in Lyon. Following a desire to make use of both subjects she then completed a Masters in European Politics and attended Law School at Cardiff University.
Joanna began her training contract in 2006 and qualified into the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team in 2008. She was promoted to the role of Senior Solicitor in 2013 and became the Trainee Supervisor for the department. She became an Associate in 2015 and became a Senior Associate in 2018.
- Joanna regularly advises local authorities and educational establishments in relation to Special Educational Needs or Additional Learning Needs appeals and disability discrimination claims, from early resolution to appeals to the Upper Tribunal.
- Joanna advised the Welsh Government on Supreme Court proceedings originating from the Mental Health Tribunal for Wales of a decision which has wide-ranging implications on the jurisdiction of Mental Health Tribunals in both England and Wales.
- Joanna also successfully defended an application for an injunction against the Welsh Ministers commenced by the Billy Graham Evangelistical Association in relation to the cancellation of their UK Tour date at the International Convention Centre Wales. WM applied to strike out the claim which resulted in settlement.
- Joanna is currently advising a client in relation to an appeal to the Court of Appeal relating to post-completion dispute for breach of warranty and negligent and fraudulent misrepresentation. She has significant experience of advising clients in the care, aviation and renewable energy industries, in relation to shareholder and other corporate disputes and avoiding issues arising as a result of corporate restructuring exercises.
- Joanna has successfully dealt with a wide variety of disputes relating to the infringement of intellectual property rights (primarily trademarks, design rights and copyright) on behalf of clients in the security, visual arts, electronics, cosmetics, agricultural machinery, facilities management, food and furnishings industries. She frequently deals with disputes relating to the breach of confidentiality and misuse of confidential information and spent many years advising a NHS Local Health Board on proceedings against a former employee threatening to disclose confidential patient information. She has recently advised numerous directors and former shareholders in relation to cease and desist letters demanding undertakings in relation to obligations of confidentiality and allegations of trademark infringement.
- Early on in her career she was successful in taking an injunction application to the Court of Appeal on behalf of a national Plc concerning a Post-Completion Dispute and has recently assisted in the recovery of £1.9 million owed to clients as Deferred Consideration following the sale of their company to a multi-national, pursuing the contractual expert determination procedure.
- She has also dealt with a number of professional negligence claims on behalf of companies against their former legal advisors and financial advisors, successfully recovering damages from the insurers.
- Joanna led a team with the procedural aspects of a multi-disciplinary claim for declarations from the High Court of the rent to be paid for a significant redevelopment site. The sums involved amount to tens of millions and the calculation of the rent was in dispute.
- Joanna advised former shareholders of a successful care home company in relation to a Completion Account dispute and alleged breaches of warranty. The claim settled at mediation prior to the CCMC.
- Joanna represented a Welsh local health board in High Court injunctive proceedings brought by a suspended employee in relation to the disciplinary procedure being followed.
Joanna Corbett-Simmons continues to develop a strong contentious IP offering, particularly on behalf of clients bringing or defending claims relating to copyright, trade mark and design rights.
Insights by Joanna
Litigation & Dispute Resolution experts Joanna Corbett-Simmons and William Rees look at the High Court's recent decision to award Landlord Summary Judgment and what this means for Landlord Tenant relationships...Read More
When is a Bordeaux not a Bordeaux? When it's made in China (or anywhere outside of the Bordeaux region of France) of course! We review a landmark victory in China...Read More
The Court of Appeal, in Lillo Sciortino v Marc Beaumont , recently clarified the issue as to the date upon which a cause of action accrues in negligence when a...Read More