"What she doesn't know about banking law probably isn't worth knowing."
Kath leads the Banking and Finance Team at Blake Morgan. She has over 25 years’ experience in the finance sector, covering a huge range of client and transaction types.
Main areas of practice
Kath’s expertise covers most aspects of corporate and commercial finance. A substantial proportion of her work focuses on secured lending, including structured and leverage finance as well as construction and development lending, project finance, and Bond and other debt issues.
As well as advising on lending and security, she also regularly advises on the development and documentation of financial products.
Additionally, Kath has considerable specialist knowledge in relation to funds and collective investment schemes, and has advised extensively on perimeter issues relating to the regulatory treatment of investment schemes and on structuring and documentation of a range of funds.
Kath acts for a broad range of clients, a significant proportion of which are Clearing Banks and institutional lenders. Other clients include corporate borrowers and lenders, non institutional lenders, individuals, not for profit entities and NGOs.
Kath qualified with Slaughter and May in 1988 and practised there in Banking and Capital Markets for six years before joining Blake Lapthorn in 1994.
She became a partner in 1997 and since then has focussed much of her energy on building a specialist Banking and Finance practice within the firm.
She now leads a team of 25 lawyers based in London, Wales, Thames Valley and the South Coast. She maintains an active practice, often advising on complex or unusual transactions, including overseas or multiple jurisdictions, unusual security assets and bespoke financing or security instruments.
- Loan Market Association
- advice to non institutional lender on refinancing of portfolio of care homes, including preparation of financing documentation, and advice on unwinding existing financing and related swap transactions
- advice to Borrower on refinancing and group restructuring in the education sector, including a £70 million club senior financing and mezzanine finance from equity provider
- advice to Clearing Bank Lender on £20 million structured finance loan to property investment client
- advice to clearing bank lender on £15,000,000 revolving credit facility to plc customer
- advice to authorised fund manager on structuring and documentation of investment and loan funds, including preparation of fund documentation and preparation of template lending and security documentation.
- Capital Markets/Bonds and other instruments
- Financial Services and Markets (particularly Collective Investment Schemes and close substitutes)
- Consumer Credit
- Asset Finance
- Asset backed lending/invoice finance
- Restructuring and turnaround
Kath Shimmin is an excellent, very commercial and responsive partner.
Kath Shimmin advises on the full range of finance matters including secured and leveraged debt, project finance and collective investments. One interviewee states: "She deeply understands banking and her advice is often commercial and realistic," adding: "She is able to cut through the legal middle ground, the grey areas, and give her view as to what we should consider doing."
Leading Individual and Partner specialising in loan finance, venture capital, and asset and structured finance, also investment funds.”
She is a good negotiator, with experience in a range of financing matters, including project financing, as well as capital markets.
Insights by Kath
Last month the Government launched the Future Fund, a new programme of financial support for "innovative UK companies with good potential". The Future Fund became available on Wednesday 20 May...Read More
With all the challenges that British Banks and businesses are facing at the moment, it would be easy to suppose that the transition away from LIBOR (London Inter-bank Offered Rate)...Read More