It is a pleasure to work with Laura. I appreciate her wise counsel and responsiveness.
Laura is a Senior Solicitor in our Commercial Services team based in the Thames Valley, with a particular focus on advising charities.
Main areas of practice
Laura advises clients on a range of commercial, governance and regulatory issues including charitable incorporation, registration and dissolution, charitable mergers and acquisitions, academy conversions and transfers, grants, sponsorship and collaboration agreements, and working with the Charity Commission, the DfE and other regulators in the sector.
Laura regularly advises charities, public bodies, academies and schools, social enterprises, registered societies and other not-for-profit organisations.
- Commercial Contracts
- Charities: Registration, Governance and Compliance
- Charities: Risk Management
- Academies & Conversions
Laura graduated with First Class Honours in History and Politics from the University of Warwick and obtained distinctions in the GDL and LPC at the University of Law, London.
Prior to qualifying as a commercial solicitor, Laura provided pro bono legal services at the National Centre for Domestic Violence and also served for a year as President of the Junior Lawyers Division for Kent & East Sussex.
- Advising public bodies, local authorities and providers in the health and leisure sectors on the terms of commercial agreements, tenders and procurement contracts
- Drafting and advising on agency and distribution framework agreements for large private sector companies
- Providing general governance advice to charities of various structures including registration, drafting articles and other constitutional documents and advising on trustee duties
- Advising businesses on appropriate terms and conditions for B2B and B2C contracts
- Conducting commercial due diligence on corporate and financing projects including restructures, mergers and acquisitions
Insights by Laura
Usually, when schools convert to academy status, this is a joint decision supported by both the governing body of the school in question, and the academy trust into which the...Read More
The Charity Commission issued an alert on 24 June 2021 to help trustees of international aid charities to improve their safeguarding practices. This contains several helpful recommendations for steps charities...Read More
The charity sector has welcomed the changes to charity law announced in the Queen's Speech last month, which introduced the Charities Bill. These changes, once effected, will not change the...Read More