Laura is a solicitor in our Commercial Services team based in the Thames Valley, with a particular focus on advising charities.
Main areas of practice
Laura advises clients on a range of commercial, governance and regulatory issues including charitable incorporation, registration and dissolution, charitable mergers and acquisitions, academy conversions and transfers, grants, sponsorship and collaboration agreements, and working with the Charity Commission, the DfE and other regulators in the sector.
Laura regularly advises charities, public bodies, academies and schools, social enterprises, registered societies and other not-for-profit organisations.
- Commercial Contracts
- Charities: Registration, Governance and Compliance
- Charities: Risk Management
Laura graduated with First Class Honours in History and Politics from the University of Warwick and obtained distinctions in the GDL and LPC at the University of Law, London.
Prior to qualifying as a commercial solicitor, Laura provided pro bono legal services at the National Centre for Domestic Violence and also served for a year as President of the Junior Lawyers Division for Kent & East Sussex.
- Advising public bodies, local authorities and providers in the health and leisure sectors on the terms of commercial agreements, tenders and procurement contracts
- Drafting and advising on agency and distribution framework agreements for large private sector companies
- Providing general governance advice to charities of various structures including registration, drafting articles and other constitutional documents and advising on trustee duties
- Advising businesses on appropriate terms and conditions for B2B and B2C contracts
- Conducting commercial due diligence on corporate and financing projects including restructures, mergers and acquisitions
Insights by Laura
The coronavirus crisis has led to a marked increase in fraud and cybercrime across many sectors, including charities and not-for-profits, as some seek to take advantage of the new vulnerabilities...Read More
We were delighted to see the emphasis placed on the role of charities in the Government's coronavirus briefing on 8 April. As Chancellor Rishi Sunak rightly highlighted, one of our...Read More