Mat is a corporate law specialist and Legal Director, advising clients on various corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, joint ventures and group restructurings.
Main areas of practice
Mat’s main areas of practice include acquisitions and disposals of private companies, private equity and venture capital investments, restructuring of corporate groups and general corporate advisory work.
Mat acts for high net worth individuals, serial entrepreneurs, owner-managed businesses, SMEs and listed corporates within a range of sectors including Technology/IT, Defence and Healthcare.
Mat joined Blake Morgan in 2008 as a trainee solicitor and qualified in the Corporate Transactional team in 2010.
Prior to joining Blake Morgan Mat studied Geography at the University of Nottingham and then Law and the Legal Practice Course at Nottingham Law School.
- Advised the shareholders of the care home group Cornerstone Healthcare in respect of the sale of Kitnocks Specialist Care and South Africa Lodge to private equity firm Ignite Growth
- Advised the shareholders of the leading regional aggregates and ready-mix concrete manufacturer the Kendall Group in respect of its sale to national player Aggregate Industries, a member of the Swiss listed LafargeHolcim Group
- Advised the management shareholders of two new care home groups in relation to their equity and debt investments alongside a private equity house, a senior institutional funder and an institutional mezzanine funder, making up a total initial investment of £49m
- Advised NASDAQ listed Cubic Corporation in respect of its acquisition of Vocality International Limited for up to £8m, a leading provider of embedded technology that unifies communications platforms, enhances voice quality, increases video performance and optimises data throughput
- Advised Wellness Foods in relation to the sale of prepared fruit and fresh juice manufacturer Orchard House Foods to NASDAQ listed multinational Hain Celestial and in relation to the sale of Stream Foods to South African listed Pioneer Foods
- Advised a NASDAQ listed Defence company on its acquisition of a military training and consultancy business
- Advised Beagle Healthcare and Albion Ventures in relation to the sale of Orchard Portman to Cygnet Health Care, one of the largest independent providers of mental health services in the UK
- Advised Wellness Foods on the sale of Dorset Cereals to FTSE listed Associated British Foods
- Advised Wellness Foods on the sale of Rowse Honey to Irish headquartered Valeo Foods
- Advised a privately owned healthcare and nursing group on the restructuring of its' trading subsidiaries and the refinancing of existing equity and £10m debt investment by incumbent venture capital fund
Mat also works with clients in finance, recruitment, retail, leisure and hospitality sectors.
In 2010 Mat worked with Meridian Corporate Finance on a six month secondment, where he gained invaluable project management, private equity and venture capital transaction experience. In 2009 he was seconded to Fortis Insurance (now Ageas) for six months working on insurance products, website operations, broker agreements and general commercial contracts.