Mathew has a commercial approach and can help find solutions to difficult problems.
Mat is a corporate law specialist and Partner, advising clients on various corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, joint ventures and group restructurings.
Main areas of practice
Mat’s main areas of practice include acquisitions and disposals of private companies, private equity and venture capital investments, restructuring of corporate groups and general corporate advisory work.
Mat acts for high net worth individuals, serial entrepreneurs, owner-managed businesses, large privately owned groups and publically quoted corporates within a range of sectors including Technology/IT, Defence and Healthcare.
After training with the firm Mat qualified in the Corporate Transactional team in 2010 and was made Partner in 2021.
- Advised the shareholders of a specialist aviation data analytics company on its sale to NYSE listed L3Harris
- Advised the management team of a multi sector global search and recruitment firm on its £23m MBO/MBI
- Advised the shareholders of the care home group Cornerstone Healthcare in respect of the sale of Kitnocks Specialist Care and South Africa Lodge to private equity firm Ignite Growth
- Advised the shareholders of the leading regional aggregates and ready-mix concrete manufacturer the Kendall Group in respect of its sale to national player Aggregate Industries, a member of the Swiss listed LafargeHolcim Group
- Advised the management shareholders of two new care home groups in relation to their equity and debt investments alongside a private equity house, a senior institutional funder and an institutional mezzanine funder, making up a total initial investment of £49m
- Advised NASDAQ listed Cubic Corporation in respect of its acquisition of Vocality International Limited for up to £8m, a leading provider of embedded technology that unifies communications platforms, enhances voice quality, increases video performance and optimises data throughput
- Advised Wellness Foods in relation to the sale of prepared fruit and fresh juice manufacturer Orchard House Foods to NASDAQ listed multinational Hain Celestial and in relation to the sale of Stream Foods to South African listed Pioneer Foods
- Advised a NASDAQ listed Defence company on its acquisition of a military training and consultancy business
- Advised Beagle Healthcare and Albion Ventures in relation to the sale of Orchard Portman to Cygnet Health Care, one of the largest independent providers of mental health services in the UK
- Advised Wellness Foods on the sale of Dorset Cereals to FTSE Listed Associated British Foods and on the sale of Rowse Honey to Irish headquartered Valeo Foods
Mat also works with clients in finance, recruitment, retail, leisure and hospitality sectors.
In 2010 Mat worked with Meridian Corporate Finance on a six month secondment, where he gained invaluable project management, private equity and venture capital transaction experience. In 2009 he was seconded to Fortis Insurance (now Ageas) for six months working on insurance products, website operations, broker agreements and general commercial contracts.
"… I am very grateful to Mat and his team for their pragmatic advice throughout the sale process… it's important to have lawyers who you can rely on and who really understand our approach and how we think. Once again, they have taken the time to really understand our business objectives; providing invaluable support based on their sector knowledge and experience…"
"Blake Morgan provided exemplary legal advice on this very important deal for our business. They surpassed expectations, offering commercial and pragmatic advice on the technical aspects of the sale. On behalf of myself and my fellow shareholders, I would like to thank Mat, Stephen, Mythri and the rest of the team who advised us throughout the transaction. We have been very impressed by the level of service received."
"... I would like to thank Mat and the team at Blake Morgan for their expert advice and unwavering support throughout, to deliver the deal that is so strategically important for us and to the timetable we set out to achieve."
"Blake Morgan, led by Mathew Wilson, played a critical role in helping the Board navigate the often complex, and difficult decisions required in the successful formation of an EOT, flagging key issues and potential stumbling blocks at the earliest stage. While EOT’s all share some common principles, one size does not necessarily fit all, Blake Morgan were able to assist us in shaping the necessary structures and governance agreements to fit our company, and our stated aims and objectives. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mathew Wilson and his team to anyone considering an EOT structure."
Insights by Mathew
Intellectual Property was the focus for the first session that kicked off Blake Morgan's new series of events with Southampton Science Park, The Legal Landscape.Read More