Paula Shea has helped my clients to work towards solutions which deliver the best outcomes for their individual needs. Her skills in adapting her approach to work best with my client circumstances have built trust and confidence for the clients involved.
Paula joined the firm in 2019 and has over 15 years’ experience in most aspects of private client work, including trusts, Wills, probate and associated tax planning. She is qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales and in her home jurisdiction of Northern Ireland.
Main areas of practice
Paula is well liked by her clients and is known for her practical and sensitive approach. She thrives on the technically challenging, unusual and interesting cases and creates innovative solutions to tricky problems.
Paula is particularly skilled in advising elderly clients and assisting families with vulnerable children. She also enjoys assisting entrepreneurs in regard to succession planning and believes in a holistic approach, working with other advisers to deliver the best outcome for their clients.
Paula acts for a diverse range of clients from private individuals with relatively straightforward affairs to those with significant business interests.
Recent work includes:
- Advice to a widow in a contentious estate about the capitalisation of her life interest.
- Advising an executor in a complex estate involving private company shares with various complex / contentious issues.
- Advice regarding tax-efficient deeds of variation.
- Creation of tax-efficient Wills to maximise availability of IHT reliefs (Business Property Relief, Residence Nil Rate Band, etc.)
- Creation of lifetime settlements and ongoing tax advice.
- Responding to Larke v Nugus request in contested estate.
- Private Client
- Divorce and Separation
- Probate and the Administration of Estates
- Sports Law
Paula trained at Dickinson Manser (now Trethowans) and qualified as a private client solicitor in 2004. Paula joined Lester Aldridge in 2006 and following various promotions became a partner in 2015.
- University of Wales – Aberystwyth LLB (Hons) 2:1
- Cardiff University – Legal Practice Course
- Solicitor – England & Wales and Northern Ireland
- STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioner)
- SFE (Solicitors for the Elderly)
- Law Society Private Client Section
- Tax-efficient Will drafting
- Creation and administration of trusts to include trusts for vulnerable individuals
- Problematic estate administration to include: estates with complex assets often involving shareholdings in family businesses, declarations to declare death; assisting elderly/infirm executors
- Creation of LPAs and provision of ancillary advice to include assessing capacity under the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Advising families with vulnerable children. Paula acts as a professional attorney and deputy
"Paula Shea provides an outstanding service exhibiting the abilities to explain legal issues to clients clearly and patiently, address client queries promptly and fully and ensure the task in hand is completed as soon as possible."
"Paula Shea is an exceptionally good lawyer. Technically brilliant, amazing client service and runs a great team."
"Shea is very good: a strong practitioner with a great set of skills and experience."
She is very well respected in her field.
Insights by Paula
The rules on inheritance tax ("IHT") surrounding gifting can be complex. Many are aware of the basics of gifting exemptions but few understand the logistics of how gifts are reported...Read More
Paula Shea looks at advance care planning, the various options and how to prepare for life-threatening or life-sustaining situations.Read More
Millennials may struggle to donate to charities during their lifetimes, but this does not mean they cannot leave a lasting legacy that helps future generations. Often the best way to do...Read More