Nicola Diggle Senior Associate
“An associate to watch with a steadily growing commercial practice, geared towards general contractual and corporate disputes, including IT matters. ”
“Extraordinary" "very shrewd,"and they praise her "excellent knowledge.”
Nicola is a Senior Associate in our Litigation and Dispute Resolution Division specialising in commercial litigation and dispute resolution. She has a great deal of experience acting for individuals and corporates based in the Thames Valley, London, United Kingdom and abroad across a range of sectors.
Main areas of practice
Nicola is highly recommended as a commercial lawyer with specialist expertise in:
- Commercial contract claims
- IT and Software disputes
- Director and shareholder disputes
- Warranty claims
- Enforcing employee restrictive covenants
- Appeals to the Privy Council
- Commercial mediation
- Successfully obtaining an award in a $40 million international arbitration
- Acting for the claimant in a £12 million warranty claim in the Commercial Court
- Acting for two shareholders in an international shareholder dispute in the technology sector
- Acting a nationwide property developer in a £5 million dispute in the High Court
- Acting for a seller of an investment management business in a variety of post-sale disputes
- Acting for an international distribution and logistics business in a variety of commercial contract disputes
- Acting for a minority shareholder in bringing a successful claim for unfair prejudice for wrongful exclusion from management (using third party litigation funding)
- Obtaining an injunction in the Commercial Court for a software supplier to prevent a departing senior employee from breaching restrictive covenants
- Acting for a Mauritian bank in defending an appeal to the Privy Council
- Acting for a shareholder and director of a retail sector company in defending unfair prejudice proceedings in the Companies Court
- Acting for a software supplier in a dispute regarding a public sector outsourcing contract
Nicola qualified and previously practiced at Herbert Smith in their international litigation team. Nicola has done secondments to the Herbert Smith Paris office and an international technology company's in-house legal team.
Nicola joined Blake Morgan in 2006.
She is a Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience and has appeared in the High Court for clients.
She is also an ADR Group Accredited Mediator. As well as acting as advisor and advocate for clients in disputes and mediations, Nicola also practices as a mediator in commercial mediations.
Nicola is part of the cross-office team which organises our In-house Lawyer Forums.
- Solicitor Advocate
- ADR Group Accredited Mediator
“An associate to watch with a steadily growing commercial practice, geared towards general contractual and corporate disputes, including IT matters.”
Following recent queries from clients, we thought it worthwhile posting a reminder about the rules for dress in the Privy Council following a dispensation.
Since Easter 2014 the Privy Council has introduced changes to the way that bookings of private meeting rooms are handled.
Articles by Nicola
Litigation can be very expensive and the English courts have embraced 'no win no fee' which provides access to justice for those who cannot fund litigation. Our expert Nicola Diggle explains how Litigation funding is now mainstream in the UK.
In November 2016, the JCPC in London heard its first ever video-link case. The case ‘Cono Cono and Co Ltd (Appellant) v Veerasamy and others (Respondents)’
The jurisdiction of the Privy Council originated at the Norman conquest with the premise that, “The King is the fountain of all justice throughout his Dominions, and exercises jurisdiction in his Council, which act in an advisory capacity to the Crown.”
Related Knowledge & Resources
The recent decision in the case of Cosmetic Warriors Ltd & Anor v Gerrie  EWCA Civ 324 dealt with the correct construction of shareholders' pre-emption rights.
Whatever their reasons for wanting to start a business – there are three main factors start-ups will need to consider. Here is some advice on starting a business.
Blake Morgan are delighted to be sponsoring The Centre for Information Rights 4th Winchester Conference on Trust, Risk, Information and the Law.
Nationwide (England) from 1 February 2016
Do you have conflict in the workplace that takes up your valuable time and has a damaging effect on team performance?
Commercial Law Briefing: Getting the Boilerplate Right - An A to Z of Commercial Contract "Boilerplate" clauses and some lessons from recent cases.