Robert Cherry Partner
“Robert Cherry leads the practice and is "very easy to work with," according to impressed clients. He has a broad transactional practice, which takes in a wide range of acquisitions, MBOs and reverse takeovers.”
“Very strong and commercial.”
Robert leads Blake Morgan's Corporate team. He has a broad range of corporate transactional experience. He regularly deals with acquisitions, disposals, management buy-outs and buy-ins, private equity and venture capital transactions.
Main areas of expertise
Robert's team has specialist expertise in implementing buy and build programmes of acquisitions and, for example, Robert had led the work for PHS Group plc, for whom alone we have acted on well over 230 acquisitions. Robert also leads the team on stock exchange and public takeover work, having advised on many AIM and official list flotations, reverse takeovers and public offers as well as regulatory advice to quoted companies.
Private Company Transactions
- Acting for PHS Group in over 230 acquisitions of office services businesses and companies in the last 17 years.
- Advising Pure Wafer plc on its acquisition of a US division of Rockwood Holdings plc.
- Advising various domiciliary care and foster care businesses in connection with the sales of their businesses to corporate and private equity acquirers.
- Advising the shareholders of Wales Environmental Limited in connection with the sale of the company to an MBO/MBI team, backed by Finance Wales Investments Limited and HSBC as well as vendor rollover equity and debt.
Private Equity Funding/Buyouts
- Acting for Nuaire Limited management team in its £35m buyout led by ECI Partners (debt from RBS) and subsequently a £73m secondary buyout led by Electra Partners (debt from Anglo-Irish Bank).
- Advising various equity investors on substantial second and third round investments in New Earth Solutions Ltd, a waste to energy project group based in the South West of England (debt facilities from Deutsche Bank).
- Advising the management teams of Cambrian Pet Foods Limited and Target Group Limited on their respective private-equity backed management buyouts.
- Advising various investee companies of Finance Wales Investments Limited, Hafren Ventures and UK Steel Enterprises amongst others, such as Inngot, Geosho, Orthos, Hydra Technologies and others.
Flotations and Reverse Takeovers
- Flotation of PHS Group plc and Medicx Fund Limited on Official List.
- Flotation of Tinopolis plc, Torex Retail plc and Galileo Resources plc on AIM.
- Reverse takeovers and admission to trading on AIM of Springhealth Leisure plc, Scott Tod Developments plc, HACAS Group plc, Celltalk Group plc, Torex Retail plc, Tinopolis plc, Pure Wafer plc, Immupharma plc, Kiwara plc, Photonstar LED plc and Galileo Resources plc.
- Flotation on Plus-Markets of General Industries plc and DHAIS plc and reverse takeovers of two companies by Plus-Markets acquirers.
- Donatantonio plc by its management team.
- TV Corp by Tinopolis plc.
- PHS Group plc by a buyout team led by Charterhouse (valued at £600m) (debt from RBS).
- Tinopolis plc by a buyout vehicle led by Vitruvian Capital (valued at £79m) (debt from Barclays).
Corporate Structuring Work
- Rob also deals with general corporate structuring arrangements, buy-backs, joint ventures, shareholders agreements, mergers and demergers.
HE Commercialization projects
- Advises higher education institutions on the commercialization of their proprietory intellectual property assets and spin-out projects.
“He has sound technical skills.”
Articles by Robert
Blake Morgan advised on the deal between PHS and Restore.
Law firm Blake Morgan has completed the stock exchange listing of General Industries Plc.
Related Knowledge & Resources
In the trial of an unfair prejudice petition, the High Court has found that the actions of the first respondent represented the clearest possible breach of directors' fiduciary and statutory duties. We take look in detail.
Our expert explains the Director Disqualification Act and what happens if a disqualified director doesn't apply with the Act.
Our expert explains the changes to the Criminal Offences Act and what you need to to to reduce the risk to your business.