Siân Jones Partner
Siân is a partner in our dispute resolution team and a specialist in property litigation and residential landlord and tenant disputes with a wealth of experience in the Social Housing sector.
Main areas of practice
Siân has extensive experience of property litigation, including commercial and residential landlord and tenant disputes, lease renewal proceedings, dilapidation claims, adverse possession claims, claims in respect of disputed easements and restrictive covenants, mortgage possession proceedings and Lands Tribunal claims arising out of compulsory purchase orders.
Siân acts for both landlord and tenants in disputes relating to residential, commercial and agricultural land.
- Advising on the terms of occupancy agreements and Partnership Agreement between a housing association and support provider for a refuge for victims of domestic violence
- Drafting and modernising the full range of tenancy agreements for a housing association
- Acting for a housing association in recovering possession of a property from an elderly vulnerable tenant causing prolonged low level nuisance, in conjunction with outside agencies
- Acting for a housing association in the removal of a restrictive covenant benefiting multiple adjoining owners to allow an ExtraCare facility to be constructed
- Acting for a housing association in settling multiple disrepair claims following major ingress of water, dealing with temporary re-housing issues and pursuing the housing associations superior landlord
Health & Social Care
- Acting for a Local Health Board in negotiating a surrender of an Agricultural Holdings Act Tenancy in exchange for a lesser tenancy which gave control of achieving vacant possession of the site to the LHB which wished to dispose of a surplus site
- Acting for a Local Health Board in respect of the disposal of a surplus Hospital where there were issues of nuisance and potential breaches of covenant. Advised on the enforceability of the covenants and in relation to Option agreements negotiated to facilitate access to the site
- Acting for a Registered Social Landlord in the removal of a restrictive covenant from land to enable an Extra Care Facility to be built. Contesting injunction proceedings and advising on an agreement to relax the terms of the covenant to allow the facility to be operated
- Portfolio Management for Welsh Local Health Boards including lease renewal proceedings, service of Break Notices and advising on disputed rent reviews
Articles by Siân
Lawyers from Blake Morgan’s social housing team will be at the CHC annual flagship event at the Principality Stadium, Cardiff on 1st and 2nd December.
Members of Blake Morgan's Social Housing Team look forward to supporting CIH Cymru's TAI Conference – the largest of its kind in Wales.
Sian will be leading a workshop at the annual CIH PRS Summit on the legal update on the ASB, crime and policing act 2014.
Blake Morgan would like to invite you to our Social Housing Seminar on managing supported housing in the New World on 25 January 2018 in our Cardiff office.
Related Knowledge & Resources
In HR Magazine, Holly Cudbill, considers the vexed question of whether employees who undertake sleep-in shifts are entitled to the national minimum wage (NMW) throughout the entire time they are asleep, or only when they are awake to carry out duties.
While we await the new date for the Property Boundaries Bill to be considered in the House of Commons Our expert looks at the Bill and how it will revolutionise boundary disputes.
A recent case has updated the law on refusing consent (to assign, sublet, change use etc) on the basis that the tenant might acquire the freehold: it will be harder to do so in some modern leases.