Susie Dryden Partner
“Susie Dryden is effective, very personable and good with clients.”
“An excellent lawyer.”
The Commercial Litigation team at Blake Morgan is named in Chambers UK 2018 as a highly respected litigation team on the South Coast, and Susie is named as a a seasoned practitioner with extensive experience of handling complex litigation.
Main areas of practice
Susie is a very experienced commercial litigator who has advised on a broad range of matters over a number of years. She has been the lead partner on a number of cases involving significant and complex litigation or arbitration, including commercial contract disputes, procurement disputes, IT disputes, engineering disputes, fraud cases and professional negligence claims.
Her expertise in undertaking detailed investigations and in asset recovery cases enhances her regulatory work, where she has acted for many years as Intervention Agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) into interventions into solicitors' firms.
Susie is also an accredited mediator, both acting as mediator and representing parties at mediation.
Her key clients include:
- Kerry Group
- NHS England
- Sixth Form Colleges Association
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
Significant cases include:
- Successfully acting for NHS England in the first case to consider the NHS (Competition, Procurement and Patient Choice) No 2 Regulations 2013. The case concerned an application for Judicial Review of a decision by NHS England not to contract with a provider for an interim period pending a national review and procurement of the service in question. Damages were also claimed under the Human Rights Act 1998.  EWHC 3752 (admin)
- Acting for King Edward Vl College in the Court of Appeal in successfully resisting a challenge by three teachers, sponsored by the NASUWT, who alleged that too much had been deducted from their pay by way of strike pay. The case involved a detailed consideration of the individual terms of employment [as contained in "the Red Book"] and the effect of the Appointment Act 1870 on contracts of employment  EWCA civ 455
- Acting for Peter Symonds College in its successful defence of a High Court claim, sponsored by the NUT, concerning the correct deduction from a teacher's pay for strike action [2013 EWHC 2788 Amey V Peter Symonds College].
- Securing an emergency injunction following an international fraud and successfully recovering for the client a majority of the funds misappropriated.
- Handling multi-party disputes arising from the supply of defective goods which then contaminated other products in the supply chain
- Acting for IBM in successfully defending a claim by the London Borough of Southwark concerning the supply and implementation of an MDM system which Southwark alleged was not of satisfactory quality and unfit for purpose  EWHC 549 (TCC).
- Advising a large manufacturing company on an insurance coverage dispute with its group motor fleet insurer regarding an underlying personal injury claim against the company's employee.
- Acting for a claimant in a case which involved allegations of fraud against a senior manager, to include the obtaining of world wide freezing injunctions.
- Acting as the SRA's agent in the intervention into solicitors' firms.
Claims Against Professionals: Susie has experience in professional liability matters and insurance disputes, acting for both defendant and claimant. She also handles complex contractual disputes, which often have an international element. Her experience includes a dispute with a US company arising out of a distribution agreement and several manufacturing disputes involving foreign contractors and suppliers.
Mediation: Cases mediated include an IT dispute involving allegations of copyright infringement of the underlying computer code for a website and breach of contract, a franchise dispute, a shareholder dispute including allegations of overpayment of bonuses and an unfair prejudice claim, an Inheritance Act claim, a claim of nuisance involving three parties including the landlord; a construction dispute relating to a widely defined lump sum contract, a contractual dispute between a local authority and a supplier and a number of other contractual disputes.
Susie s a CEDR accredited mediator. Blake Morgan has a number of qualified and practising mediators who accept direct referrals, as well as instructions via ADR bodies.
Interventions: Susie is an Intervention Agent for the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Articles by Susie
New face at CBI council
Susie Dryden features in Financier Worldwide's Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Corporate advisor handbook 2016
Partner Susie Dryden features as a UK advisor in Financier Worldwide's Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Corporate Advisor Handbook 2016.
Susie Dryden, Partner, writes for CorporateLiveWire's Litigation and Dispute Resolution 2016 Expert Guide.
Related Knowledge & Resources
Court makes declarations in favour of MEAT tenderer but refuses to grant injunction to compel contracting authority to award it the contract
On 21 December 2017, the Technology and Construction Court handed down judgment in the case of MLS (Overseas) Limited ("MLS") v Secretary of State for Defence ("the MoD") .
R (oao Woolcock) v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Secretary of State for Justice and the Welsh Ministers
The court has handed down judgment in the case of R (oao Woolcock) v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Secretary of State for Justice and the Welsh Ministers.
Non-compete clause unenforceable as it included a restriction on holding a minor shareholding in a competing business
Restrictive covenants are a useful tool for employers to protect their competitive edge and to reduce the risk of 'star employees' leaving to join competitors.However, failure to draft them carefully can leave both employer and employee in limbo.
A guide to how Blake Morgan can help with your Academy conversion.
Nationwide (England) from 1 February 2016
Do you have conflict in the workplace that takes up your valuable time and has a damaging effect on team performance?