Anita is a Legal Director and specialises in Environmental, Planning (including infrastructure), Highways, and Compulsory Purchase law. She covers all non-contentious and contentious aspects.
Main areas of practice
Anita advises both private and public sector clients on a wide range of environmental matters, including contaminated land and remediation, waste, noise, conservation and habitats, renewables, Environmental Impact Assessments, Environmental permits, emissions, flooding, asbestos, and environmental liabilities and enforcement.
Planning, Highways, and Compulsory Purchase Law
Anita advises on Town and Country Planning law, and also represents promoters of Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and Transport and Works Act projects. She advises in particular on the promotion and implementation of complex and politically sensitive infrastructure projects and strategic regeneration and redevelopment projects, typically advising promoters on strategy, as well as on complex planning, highways and compulsory purchase issues.
She guides clients through the myriad of planning law and regulation, negotiating statutory planning and infrastructure agreements, and conducting appeals and judicial review.
Anita advises a broad spectrum of private and public sector clients. They include airports, rail operators, energy from waste facility operators, purchasers, developers, investment funds, affordable housing providers, start-ups, landlords and tenants, schools and universities, banks, local authorities, and charities.
Before joining Blake Morgan, Anita was the Head of Planning and Environment at Howard Kennedy LLP. Prior to that, she was the Head of Legal for Expansion at Heathrow Airport. Anita also specialised in Environmental law and Planning Law at international law firm, Stephenson Harwood LLP, for over 12 years, as well as Aviation Finance law in Stephenson Harwood’s Singapore office for 2 years.
Anita holds a Master of Laws in Corporate and Commercial Law, from King’s College London.
- As the in-house Head of Legal for Expansion at Heathrow Airport, Anita advised on obtaining consents for the proposed third runway. She specifically focused on the airport's application for a Development Consent Order for expansion, and related environmental, highways, and compulsory purchase matters.
- Anita acted for the North London Waste Authority (made up of 7 local authorities, serving 19 million people) on its high-profile, nationally significant' North London Heat and Power Project'. She advised on all aspects of NLWA's application for a Development Consent Order, to build an energy recovery facility to generate heat and electricity for approximately 127,000 homes.
- Acted for promoters of the 'Circuit of Wales' project in Wales (a motorsport track and multi-use development), advising on all aspects of the application for planning permission, including the negotiation of related statutory planning and highways agreements.
- Acted for one of the UK's leading specialist shopping centre owner, developer and operator, in relation to obtaining planning consent for a large-scale retail and leisure park in the north of England. The advice included acting at a Call-In Inquiry, and advising on highways Stopping Orders and traffic regulation orders.
- Acted for multiple property owners in resisting a compulsory purchase order application in Croydon, in relation to a proposed large-scale residential and commercial development by Westfield and Hammerson.
- Provided technical and strategic advice to the promoter of a hybrid planning application for a mixed use redevelopment of a large waste site on the edge of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. This will create up to 475 residential units, commercial and community uses, new open spaces and a canal-side park.
Environmental law significant experience
- Litigation & regulatory compliance: Advising London councils in relation to prosecuting breaches of noise regulations, and planning conditions relating to waste and air quality. Advising a well-known UK trade union on breaches of water and flooding regulatory requirements. Defending a prominent UK hotel chain against a prosecution by the Environment Agency (EA) relating to breaches of water discharge consents. Defending a sewage treatment plant against an EA prosecution for breaches of environmental permits and environmental conditions in planning permissions. Advising a national environment protection agency on civil and criminal environmental penalties in England.
- Water: Advising a national horticultural society on Drought Orders and water abstraction licenses. Advising a well-known charitable body on the trading of water abstraction rights. Advising a harbour operator on dredging and exempt flood risk activities, inland drainage enforcement and powers of entry, scope of works, and justification relating to a weir rebuild.
- Waste: Advising a prominent London waste authority and London Borough Councils on the UK waste regime and hierarchy. Advising waste management companies on the interpretation and application of EU waste regulations, and the EU Transfrontier of Waste regime.
- Air quality: Advising airports on air quality and emissions in relation to DCO applications and various court challenges. Advising multiple energy from waste operators on air quality in relation to planning and DCO applications. Advising local authorities on Air Quality Regulations and the interpretation of technical guidance.
- Energy & Utilities: Advising a statutory undertaker on its full range of environmental obligations and liabilities in relation to the London Olympics. Advising a number of energy providers in relation to Electricity Act licences.
- Transactional support & advisory: Advising a prominent waste authority in London and public authorities on their contaminated land liabilities and negotiating contractual and other protections on land purchases.
- Anita also advises on planning aspects of energy projects, such as on-shore and off-shore wind farms, and solar farms.
Insights by Anita