James Davies's practice encompasses matrimonial finance, children work and TOLATA claims. Clients praise him as 'clear, concise, resourceful and meticulous' and commend his 'ability to see through the fog.'
James is an experienced family lawyer who often acts in cases of high net value or complexity. He represents all parties experiencing relationship breakdown.
Main areas of practice
- James has specialised in family law since qualification in 2002 and practises primarily in the fields of divorce and financial matters consequent upon divorce.
- These have often included issues of variation, pension sharing (including armed forces pensions), maintenance and capitalisation and enforcement of such orders.
- His cases are frequently of significant value.
- He additionally acts in cases of unmarried families and is adept at dealing with cohabitation disputes including under TOLATA and Schedule 1 Children Act.
- He also acts in disputes regarding children and their arrangements, including those of complexity or with international issues such as permission to relocate the children’s home or abduction.
James acts for all individuals including the owners of owner-managed businesses, company directors, senior executives, members of the professions, those in niche industries and on occasion he has acted for the Official Solicitor.
James Davies qualified as a Solicitor over 15 years ago and has specialised in family law ever since. He has practised in Reading, Berkshire since qualification, before joining this firm in December 2017 as a Senior Associate Solicitor.
- Thames Valley Family Lawyers' Society (Chair for three years before stepping down in 2013)
- Resolution specialist panel member
- James has over 15 years' experience in this area and resolves cases through a host of methods including court proceedings, advising during the mediation process, non-court negotiation and round table meetings.
- He has experience in all types of cases, including farms, family businesses and those involving complex assets such as trust and corporate structures, including offshore.
- He regularly acts in cases of complexity and/or significant wealth and income.
James is accredited by Resolution, the leading family law organisation, as an accredited specialist in Cohabitation. He is the only solicitor in Oxford to hold this accreditation. He is similarly accredited by Resolution as a specialist in complex high-value divorce cases, the only other solicitor in Oxford who holds this accreditation being Christine Plews of this firm.
Combine(s) encyclopaedic knowledge of the law with real tenacity
Insights by James
Can a payer of maintenance be forced to subsidise the recipient's financial mistakes? The Supreme Court has just delivered its judgment on precisely this issue in Mills v. Mills. The husband...Read More
It's easy to see the beginning of January as a little bit miserable: "divorce day", dry January, dreadful weather and a return to work but there are lots of little...Read More