James Hawkeswood focuses his practice on M&A transactions for private companies. One source reports: "He was excellent: patient, smart and totally unflappable even when things got tricky."
Specialising in private company mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private equity investments, James also advises on partnership arrangements and group restructurings.
Main areas of practice
With extensive experience of managing projects involving teams of specialist lawyers and other professionals in complex transactions on tight time scales, James provides commercial advice to clients in relation to shareholder and financing issues and generally on corporate governance matters.
He advises a wide variety of clients range from high net worth individuals to large corporate groups. James is also the partner responsible for Blake Morgan’s Company Secretarial team which provides assistance to over 700 client companies.
- Corporate & Shareholder Disputes
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Disposals
- Private Equity
- Equity Capital Markets
James qualified as a solicitor in 2000 and joined Blake Morgan in 2006
- His recent experience includes advising:
- Blade Dynamics Limited, a UK developer of advanced wind turbine rotors, in connection with international investment; equity participation and commercial arrangements with The Dow Chemical Company, American Superconductor Corporation. The deal also facilitated a $US30 million grant from the State of Louisiana's Economic Development department for Blade Dynamics to set up a manufacturing plant in the US, and the entry into a turnkey lease for the company to use part of NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, a 40 acre building which was formerly used for building the space shuttle
- Auto Online Limited and its founder shareholders in securing a significant strategic investment from Tesco and the entry into complex commercial arrangements with Tesco enabling its existing 'Carsite.co.uk' website being re-built and re-launched as 'Tescocars.com'
- On numerous private equity transactions, acting for (variously) investors, target companies, management and debt providers
- Ground Control group of companies on various acquisitions and restructuring arrangements
- A supporters' group on the take-over of a first division football club
Leading Individual, James Hawkeswood has been involved in a significant number of corporate transactions.
He gets straight to the point and gives very good commercial advice.