Specialising in the superyacht and marine leisure industries, Louise has considerable experience in acting for owners, insurers and finance houses, along with marine-related businesses.
Main areas of practice
Her experience includes supporting owners and insurers in the immediate aftermath of an incident, providing advice in respect of contract and commercial disputes, supporting owners in the sale, purchase and build/refits of yachts in the UK and throughout the Med and worldwide cruising areas. Louise advises finance houses on the enforceability and the priority of liens and other claims against vessels.
Louise has particular expertise in marine related cross border disputes having developed a tried and tested network of surveyors, experts and correspondent lawyers throughout the globe.
Areas of expertise:
- Insurance disputes under the terms of a marine policy along with actions to recover insurers’ outlay by way of a subrogated claim. Louise has unrivalled experience in cross-border disputes:
- Salvage, collision & recovery along with limitation of liability claims:
- Crew claims and supporting insurers with their MLC obligations;
- Disputes relating the build and delivery of yachts;
- Sale & purchase along with build and refit contracts along with charter contracts;
- Standard terms of business for marine-related businesses.
Louise acts for marine insurers, superyacht owners, finance houses and South-Coast marine related businesses in all aspects relating to the operation and management of yachts and superyachts. She also handles disputes relating to the operation of commercial vessels.
Louise started her yachting career in the City of London in 2001 before moving to the South Coast to continue her practice. She served as a non-Executive Director for British Marine for two years from July 2016. She joined Blake Morgan in April 2020.
- British Marine Federation
- Yacht Brokers, Designers & Surveyors Association (YBDSA)
- Advising on COVID-19 related issues relating to the operation and management of yachts
- Acting for the buyer for the purchase of a 40m superyacht
- Acting for a P&I Club in respect of meeting its MLC obligations and recovering its outlay
- Acting for underwriters in respect of the alleged salvage of a 60m superyacht
- Acting for a superyacht builder in respect of a dispute with an owner following delivery of a 60m superyacht
- Acting for insurers in respect of a limitation of liability claims in cross-border claims.
Louise is a keen watersports enthusiast and experienced sailor. She loves nothing more than spending her spare time paddleboarding on the Solent and Southampton water.
A peer says she is "very competitive and competent," adding: "She understands the needs of her clients."
"I can honestly say she always goes above and beyond with her work."