Paula Kathrens is recommended for advisory, disciplinary and contentious matters on behalf of schools and NHS organisations. One client says: "She is excellent, professional and well-versed."
Paula is a partner in the Employment law team, advising key clients in both the public and private sectors including Welsh Government, further and higher education, health and social care, housing and the financial services sectors on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law. Paula is a supervisor of Employment Tribunal work amongst other matters.
Main area of practice
Paula has specific experience in advising clients in relation to employment related litigation at all levels on claims for unfair dismissal, sex, race, age , disability and other discrimination and high value whistleblowing claims. Paula also advises clients on restructures and reorganisations, procurement and TUPE. Paula regularly delivers training programmes and seminars for public and private sector organisations.
Health & Social Care
- Represented a Welsh NHS Trust in a complex and lengthy case involving the dismissal of a consultant, including categorisation of professional/person conduct issues, injunctive action in the High Court and Employment Tribunal proceedings for unfair dismissal, race discrimination, and breach of the Human Rights Act and breach of the Working Time Regulations.
- Advised a Local Health Board in its successful defence of multiple claims of disability discrimination, race discrimination, discrimination on the grounds of religious belief, unfair dismissal made by a consultant. The case also involved advising in relation to an NCAS assessment and subsequent GMC fitness to practice issues.
- Represented a Local Health Board in relation to a disability discrimination allegations and reasonable adjustments.
- Paula led the team on the advice in the Further Education sector on mergers in the sector under the Welsh Government’s Transformation Agenda, including all aspects of legal due diligence, advice on strategy and structure of merger, staff consultation and complex TUPE issues and harmonisation matters post-merger.
- Paula has represented Higher Education establishments in relation to complex discrimination claims.
- Paula has advised a number of social housing clients on all employment aspects arising on housing stock transfers from Local Authorities, including consultation, harmonisation and equal pay.
- Paula has advised an RSL on group structures and employment issues arising from inter group working, non-registered subsidiaries, including secondment advice and advice on shared staff. Advice also covered ensuring compliance with Welsh Government Housing Circulars.
Paula is the non-executive director of Swansea Building Society.
Paula completed her LL.B Law and Politics degree at Cardiff University before completing her Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice Distinction. Paula qualified as a solicitor in 1997.
Paula Kathrens is noted for her expertise at handling internal disciplinary proceedings involving doctors in NHS Wales.
Combines the standard employment law knowledge with tactical and relational understanding which she employs to good effect within the education and the healthcare sector.”
An absolutely fantastic lawyer.
Insights by Paula
At the end of January 2020 Eve Piffaretti, Head of the Cardiff Office, sent an email to the Partners advertising role of Trainee Regional Partner (TRP) for Wales. We have...Read More
Employment partner Paula Kathrens looks at how businesses can be supported during the coronavirus pandemic in an article first published in Insider Media on 6 April. She considers how businesses...Read More
The Government has recently published a consultation resurrecting plans to put in place a £95,000 cap on public sector exit payments. The Government first consulted on such a cap in...Read More