Philip Jardine heads the firm's built environment department. He has a broad real estate practice covering a broad range of property transactions, and he also offers experience of major development and regeneration projects.”
Phil is a Partner and Head of Real Estate in Wales, the Thames Valley and London. He has experience of large-scale public and private development work, joint ventures, regeneration projects and property transactions particularly relating to the governmental, health and education sectors.
Main areas of practice
Phil is the firm’s lead partner for a number of major clients. Often acting at the interface of the public and private sectors he plays a pivotal role between clients, their advisers, project managers, valuers and specialist consultants in making deals happen.
Through pragmatic solution-based advice and guidance, Phil is adept in using both familiar mechanisms as land options, development agreements and also more complex multi-party project structures involving CPOs, planning and infrastructure agreements.
Multiple locations, organisations and stakeholders
- Acting for Igloo Regeneration Partnership in its development of 40 acres of brownfield derelict former dockland in Cardiff Bay including in the initial phase, the development of over 170,000 sq ft of space for BBC and the £43m sale of the investment created to a pension fund.
- Acting for Amber Infrastructure and the Regeneration Investment Fund for Wales (RIFW) in connection with the investment of £60m under the European funded JESSICA project and the completion of loans out of the fund to various infrastructure projects in Wales. The fund is an LLP which was created by the transfer of a portfolio of publicly owned assets by Welsh Government.
Transport, public bodies and government
- Acting for the University of South Wales in the acquisition and development of the Atrium – a £25m 100,000sq ft creative arts and media design academy in the City Centre of Cardiff.
- Acting for the University of Glamorgan and the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama in the £22m re-development of the College’s campus on North Road Cardiff and creation of a new concert hall and rehearsal studios which opened in August 2011.
- Acting for NHS Wales in the assembly of the site of a new hospital in Cardigan using CPO powers vested in the NHS, saving the ‘public purse’ over £500,000.
Working with in-house teams
- Acting for the in-house teams of Newport City Council and Welsh Government through Newport Unlimited (Wales’ only URC) in the development, grant funding and lease of the new £40m Newport City Centre Campus for the University of South Wales.
- Acting for the in-house team of Vale of Glamorgan Council in the highways agreements and planning agreements affecting the redevelopment of RAF St. Athan.
- Representing the in-house team of Welsh Government in the multi-party development of the international rail freight terminal at Wentloog Cardiff.
Phil is a former director of Cardiff City and he also acted unpaid as the Company Secretary of Newport Unlimited the URC, set up to coordinate the regeneration of Newport from 2004 to its closure in 2014.
Phil qualified in 1987 and most recently sat on the main board of Morgan Cole where he was responsible for the strategic direction of its business across Wales and Southern England.
He was also appointed in 2011 as a Director of the Design Commission for Wales.
- Advisory Board of the Cardiff Business Council
- Director of Antur Teifi - a social enterprise
- Advisory Board of the Welsh Government's Cardiff Capital Region
The 'very approachable' Philip Jardine is known for his work in both the public and private sectors, particularly for development and regeneration projects.”
Insights by Philip
Japanese Knotweed is a non-native invasive species and is the most invasive plant in the UK. It grows rapidly, the roots are extremely wide spreading and can penetrate foundations and...Read More
Under the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 ("CJCA 2015") a number of new provisions came into force at the end of October. These include section 91 and Schedule 16...Read More
This article deals with: 1. The problem of delays in the court system for landlords of AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy) tenants who have a court order for possession and want...Read More